GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Rehab is for quitters
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ever since i have had my hids my passenger light would flicker during the day and when it got dark it would power up just fine. i wasnt sure if this was because of the ballast or auto headlights or what but never cared because they lit up at night. last night my passenger light completely went out, so i started playing with the light knob to see if i could get it to turn on, it would turn on for a couple seconds then shut back off and it keeps doing this whether its from hitting a key on the remote or turning them on manually or auto. is this just a bad ballast or what?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
You're doing so many things wrong here.

1. Pull the DRL fuses so they don't come on during the day. Fuse 31 and 33 underhood. They get little voltage during the day, starving the ballast for power. It's VERY bad for it. The flickering is a bad sign as well.
2. Turn off your approach lighting and exit lighting at the DIC. Flashing HIDs and shutting them off before they're warmed up is bad for the bulbs.
3. Disable your auto lights. The key going to ON to START makes them flash at night, also very bad for them.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if you've ruined the ballast and/or bulb with all that abuse. Time to hit up Spencer!

·
Rehab is for quitters
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i was only flashing them on and off yesterday and today to see if they would power up. ill see about ordering another set and taking your advice to change that stuff.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
well i was only flashing them on and off yesterday and today to see if they would power up. ill see about ordering another set and taking your advice to change that stuff.

I know, but every time you unlock the doors at night, they flash. Every time you turn the key at night, they flash.

It's a must with HID's to do all that. Otherwise they'll wear out.

·
1,847 Posts
I had the exact same problem w/ my HIDs. They would flicker during the day, but were fine at night. I finally just took 'em out and put the stock lights back in because I was tired of dealing w/ it.

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
I run my HID's all the time, but again, i dont really care if they shit the bed, i've got lots of warranty left on them because im constantly swapping stuff around. as for the flicker in the daylight, its because of the DRL and it is VERY bad for them. Run a relay kit and you have no more issues with flicker, ever. I'd be willing to bet your relay or ballast took a dump, but my money is on the ballast. I've got killer deals going on right now because i just got in a huuuge order and need to put in another one.

·
Proud APBT Owner
415 Posts

1. Pull the DRL fuses so they don't come on during the day. Fuse 31 and 33 underhood. They get little voltage during the day, starving the ballast for power. It's VERY bad for it. The flickering is a bad sign as well.
2. Turn off your approach lighting and exit lighting at the DIC. Flashing HIDs and shutting them off before they're warmed up is bad for the bulbs.
3. Disable your auto lights. The key going to ON to START makes them flash at night, also very bad for them.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if you've ruined the ballast and/or bulb with all that abuse. Time to hit up Spencer!
I've did steps one and two. How do you go about step 3? I have noticed that they do flash when you turn the key.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
I've did steps one and two. How do you go about step 3? I have noticed that they do flash when you turn the key.
It's much better for them not to flash; flashing is probably the worst thing for an HID kit. I know a lot of guys on here that don't disable them and they're fine for now. I like the peace of mind that mine don't do that and they'll last a long time without any hassle. Plus I like having control over my lights anyway. Everyone thinks "wow what a pain in the ass my truck came with auto lights now I have to turn them on and off myself" It's really no big deal I dont even think about it anymore. They even seem like they fire better and warm up faster when you turn them on after your truck is running rather than them flashing then coming on again.

Here is my write-up on how to disable the auto lights. 15 minutes, it's cake. http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150340&highlight=NNBS+headlight+disable

·
Blown Big Block
980 Posts
On my Dad's '07nnbs I rewired the drl's and they are now the foglights...much better than running hid's all day long.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts

·
2,595 Posts
On my Dad's '07nnbs I rewired the drl's and they are now the foglights...much better than running hid's all day long.
He SHOULD have hids in his fogs too

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Hey Spencer, ever get a price on the 8000Ks for my wife's 09 Maxima?

·
2,595 Posts
He could, but nobody that I can find sells the direct fit 5202s for the NNBS trucks. They're so DAMN hard to find!!! :tongue: :crazy:
I can't verify this myself, but there's a rumor in the hid world you can get them from www.spencershids.com if you know the secret knock.
Jameson, should be same price as a regular kit. It should come with 2 bulb,2 ballasts and the adapters.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
I can't verify this myself, but there's a rumor in the hid world you can get them from www.spencershids.com if you know the secret knock.
Jameson, should be same price as a regular kit. It should come with 2 bulb,2 ballasts and the adapters.
Even if it already has HID's? I cant just swap the 4300K for 8000Ks?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts