GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed my 2005 Avalanche is reading close to 80psi at acceleration and about 60psi at idle. That seems a little high to me. It has plenty of oil and haven't seen any leaks or anything like that. I'm thinking it may be the oil pressure sensor. I was just wondering if there were any other possibilities I'm not thinking about.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Stepper motor in the cluster maybe?

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts
So I noticed my 2005 Avalanche is reading close to 80psi at acceleration and about 60psi at idle. That seems a little high to me. It has plenty of oil and haven't seen any leaks or anything like that. I'm thinking it may be the oil pressure sensor. I was just wondering if there were any other possibilities I'm not thinking about.
Put mechanical gauge on it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
in GM motors all the oil pumps have a pressure relief valve that opens at 70 psi give or take, and they are reliable. it's normal when engine is cold- really oil is cold- to have higher oil pressure and the higher the rpm the higher the oil pressure. as rpm increases steadily you should see oil pressure on the gauge rise steadily then stop at 70 psi. if the needle goes way past, or bounces or doesn't make sense then it's most likely the oil pressure sensor or the gauge cluster. your year falls within the gauge cluster stepper motor recall years, but if the oil pressure needle seems to make sense most of the time then i would guess oil pressure sensor being off. if you have an 8.1L, there is an NPT fitting right next to the oil filter you can undo and hook up a mechanical pressure gauge to know what's really going on. easy way to do that is remove wheel well cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts