GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bowhunter
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving this afternoon and my check engine light came on. Everything acting normal, but the oil pressure gauge is maxed out. When I got it pulled over and stopped, the gauge was just staying maxed no matter the speed. Once it was stopped I let it sit and put the key into accessory after a while and noticed the gauge went from 0 (when it was turned off) to 80 before the engine was even running – just in accessory. Now, how in the hell could that be?

Temp was fine, engine running strong and normal and the gauge maxing in accessory – would you think maybe it’s the oil sending unit?

Truck is a 2003 Silverado with approx. 110,000 on it.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Yep. First thing to look at. Do check your oil, of course, but I'm sure that's fine. Light came on due to a red area reading.

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
If it happened all of a sudden it could be that sending unit or the gauge itself. I ran lucas in my truck one time to get rid of a knock and my pressure shot up to 80 at all times.

·
Registered
288 Posts
i like how when i search exactly "high oil pressure" this thread comes up on the 2nd page. anyway, I would like to add to this instead of starting a new thread. I was changing my oil yesterday along with a new battery and when pulling out of the garage i noticed my oil pressure gauge was pegged at 80, i figured with the battery change and new oil maybe it would take a minute to go down. so i just parked it and today went to do some christmas shopping, well the pressure didn't go down and my engine light came on. stopped at checker/o'reilly checked what the code actually was and got PO523 "engine oil pressure sensor/switch circuit high input" on the way home the gauge went from 80 to 0 for ten or so seconds then pegged back at 80 a couple times. Does anyone know if thats my gauge? sensor? sending unit? and what do i check first? the sensor is $59.99 at checker. i would love it if it were just that. but my luck its the oil pump or an oil galley plugged up or something

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
highly doubt its the oil pump or an oil galley plugged. does it show 80psi when the key is on accessory? if so, its a bad sensor.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
the gauge went from 80 to 0 for ten or so seconds then pegged back at 80 a couple times.
I had that happen once in a Ford. I assumed it was the gauge...and ended up needing a new engine.

Get an old-fashioned mechanical gauge on there to test it. They're cheap enough.

However, if it's going to 80 with the engine off then it's probably the gauge.

·
Registered
288 Posts
figures, getting ready to leave town and move the family to colorado the tuesday after christmas got a job to start on jan 3rd and my truck does this and the wifes car is throwing a code of p2610 ecm/pcm internal engine off timer performance. so sounds like she needs a new ecm/pcm in her toyota.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
yea i have been on google all morning trying to find a sensor for my truck along with tracking down her problem which i found this. http://img.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302436 some guys on here make it sound like death could happen at anytime. she has a 2007 corolla. wife has AAA so we may be driving the vehicles the way they are, hoping for the best and fixing when we get there.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Yep. First thing to look at. Do check your oil, of course, but I'm sure that's fine. Light came on due to a red area reading.
Stepper motor. My cousin's is reverse "low oil press" and ever 15 seconds we here the chime and LOW OIL PRES on the DIC.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Stepper motor. My cousin's is reverse "low oil press" and ever 15 seconds we here the chime and LOW OIL PRES on the DIC.
Stepper motor only affects the analog gauge's needle, not warning lights and chimes. Your cousin has low oil pressure or a failed sender.

·
Registered
288 Posts
ok, i can see the sensor, touch the sensor but all my tools are in storage since we are moving on tuesday to colorado so i cant actually get it out to replace it. Does anyone think its a bad idea to drive the truck with a bad sensor 800ish miles to colorado? i have today and tomorrow to get it fixed. i think everyone is still closed today(dealership, pepboys, any business to do the labor for me) so that leaves me tomorrow and not sure if anyone can get it done in 1 day. i'm going to try and get it replaced but is it a bad idea to drive it that far with a bad oil pressure sensor?

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
c5 corvettes are notorious for having bad senders. it shouldn't hurt you to drive it so as long as the sensor is the only issue.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
What you need to get to the sensor? could just run to wal-mart or autozone and pick up a cheap tool set..wouldn't hurt to have in the truck anyway on the way out there.

I bought a cheap fold out set to keep in the truck. I have used it a couple times and been worth the $50 I spent on it. Plus that way if I forget a socket on the ground on the side of the road its no big deal...

As far as driving, like was said- as long as it is just the sensor it won't be an issue. Same as if you truck's gas gauge was broke and stayed on "E" after a fill-up, you would still have gas to drive right?

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
The problem is, can he confirm that it's the sensor? The last time I thought it was a sensor my company ended up replacing an engine...

·
Registered
288 Posts
im not sure if i can judge off this but i unplugged the old sensor still in the motor, plugged in the new one, turned the key to acc. and the gauge didn't jump to 80psi like the old one ????? so im guessing its the sensor. but i'm on the way to the dealership to see if they can get it done today

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
...I wasn't fully awake when I posted that. The fact that it's wonky when the engine is off means that the sender is almost certainly bad (leaving the actual oil pressure unknown, with no way to be warned if there's a problem).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts