GMC Truck Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
...I wasn't fully awake when I posted that. The fact that it's wonky when the engine is off means that the sender is almost certainly bad (leaving the actual oil pressure unknown, with no way to be warned if there's a problem).
yup, and the likelihood that he'll encounter an oil pressure issue is fairly slim. it wouldn't bother me to run it w/o the sensor working but then again, others are anal about that. i have full confidence in mine.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Stepper motor only affects the analog gauge's needle, not warning lights and chimes. Your cousin has low oil pressure or a failed sender.
No, the stepper is bad, so it jumps back and forth. when it hits the red, it sets off the chimes. We put in my old cluster and the problem was solved; however, he did not like it b/c it was not flashed for DIC, rather hear the chimes......retard in my opinion.

Mr. 960 :shake:

·
Registered
288 Posts
ok sorry for the late reply but i'm just now getting the internet up in the new place..... took the truck to the dealership, they used my oil pressure sensor i bought from checker/oreilly, charged me an hour shop time($160) and all is good. they also put a new oil pan gasket in under warranty? i have 74,000miles and my truck was bought before the 100,000mile warranty???? oh well. and if anyone cared my wife's corolla had an ecm/pcm code and toyota had a recall on the corolla's and matrix's for the ecm/pcm so that was free, they said would normally cost $600something dollars.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Old thread, but research led me to here and discussion within this thread helped me fix the same problem.

Oil pressure shot straight up to 80 even in accessory mode out of the blue. Truck has 142k currently I think. Went down to the local O’Reilly and got a new Oil Pressure Sensor (for gauge not light). Tight fitting back there, but problem solved. I didn’t have any lights go off, I just noticed my gauge maxed out all of a sudden.

Truck is a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500.

Thanks again GMFS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 GMC Yukon and when I turn the key to the instrument readings (2 clicks) the pressure oil gauge sits around 45-50, but when I turn it on it skyrocketed to 80. I changed the oil and filter as usual, but still the same. I notice on all the threads that if it’s the sensor, it would skyrocket to 80 prior to turning on the vehicle. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I have a 2003 GMC Yukon and when I turn the key to the instrument readings (2 clicks) the pressure oil gauge sits around 45-50, but when I turn it on it skyrocketed to 80. I changed the oil and filter as usual, but still the same. I notice on all the threads that if it’s the sensor, it would skyrocket to 80 prior to turning on the vehicle. Any suggestions?
Get the codes read at any parts store for free. If you get a P0522 and/or P0523 it’s the sensor. No codes means it’s the cluster failing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts