GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my truck to work today, the first time I driven it to work in a month, the first time I've driven it in a week. I've been driving a 4 banger Toyota Corolla lately to conserve on gas.

Well anyways, my truck has always had a slightly pronounced shimmy in the steering wheel (bump steer), especially on this one road I have to travel, but this morning it was worse than it ever was. I just wondered if the truck sitting there and not driving for so long was to contribute. Like the suspension had tightened from not driving and needed to be driven for a while to loosen up. I also considered that maybe something is loose, I need to go over the whole front suspension again and tighten everything up. My tires and wheels only have 4,000 miles on them, but I've also considered getting them rebalanced and I still have never put a carrier bearing kit in my truck, which I know I also need to.

Anyways was just wondering, with the good words that Y2KSierra has said after putting on his KP in the back, I would hate that once I get mine on that my truck still doesn't ride perfect due to all the shaking in the front. With gas coming down, seen it for $1.67 lately, I should be driving my truck more to work and such.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i think its just a problem that plagues our trucks... I had it when i was on stock tires, and i have it now. I now know where to avoid places on the road(usually i drive between lanes at thoose spots) and i just live with it. It seems to lessen though when my truck is lower though. You've had ur front end alligned, right? It being worse than it usually is is prbly the fact that you haven't driven your truck. Driving around in my dad's denali for about 3 weeks makes my truck feel sooo fast :D Its prbly the same thing, you just think its worse

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2k1slvrdo said:
i think its just a problem that plagues our trucks... I had it when i was on stock tires, and i have it now. I now know where to avoid places on the road(usually i drive between lanes at thoose spots) and i just live with it. It seems to lessen though when my truck is lower though. You've had ur front end alligned, right? It being worse than it usually is is prbly the fact that you haven't driven your truck. Driving around in my dad's denali for about 3 weeks makes my truck feel sooo fast :D Its prbly the same thing, you just think its worse
Yeah, I'm sort of chaulking it up to not driving it, and yes, going from a slow ass Toyota to my truck is a real eye opener. The little Toyota though rides like a dang Cadillac, real soft suspension so again getting in my truck is like night and day. Not much on looks though :LOL: But I'll forgive it since it gets over 27 MPG :head:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
hahaha ur name shall be brotha bling :D

i've been rolling this lately since my truck was in the shop

some kid threw up on the side of it? And i'm too lazy to wash it.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2k1slvrdo said:
hahaha ur name shall be brotha bling :D
I wonder if my 20s will fit on the Toyota :LOL:

NAAAAAH, I'll just get me some new hubcaps, the spinning kind :crazy: j/k

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2k1slvrdo said:
i've been rolling this lately since my truck was in the shop
So will your truck see anymore pizza duty, or is it strictly gonna be in the Astro now? :LOL:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
strictly the astro now... it was funny to deliever in it, and i had a blast, but i'm not taking any unecessary chances with the new paint, its come to far to have it keyed for being double parked.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
You think Gas prices are Bad in AL?? come out to California my friend :whip:

My truck has the 'shimmy' bumpsteer a little too. I would have to say it's gotta do with balljoints.. Either worn or bad angles or a combination of both.

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
I think it might have to do with a weak steering system. The rack and pinion isn't the strongest and it doesn throw the wheel pretty good when you roll up on curb or parking spot too fast. That'd be my guess cuz I know it doesn't happen in my other vehicles.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beyond Static said:
My dad's truck has a horrible shimmy in the front end when he hits small bumps. Do the bags contribute to this?
That's pretty much the concensus ... my ride home this afternoon wasn't as bad, probably just chaulk it up to not driving it in a while.

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Like I've said before, it's the rack and pinion steering system in the new trucks.

Isn't bumpsteer caused by the tie rod not being parallel with the lower control arm at ride height? I forget. :crazy:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LowBlue02 said:
Like I've said before, it's the rack and pinion steering system in the new trucks.

Isn't bumpsteer caused by the tie rod not being parallel with the lower control arm at ride height? I forget. :crazy:
I know, but this was worse than ever, or at least it seemed like it, the ride home was fine .. I just need to drive my truck more :LOL: Too bad I have to take it apart soon to put the KP in, it'll be down for a while :insane:

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
bcubed said:
Too bad I have to take it apart soon to put the KP in, it'll be down for a while :insane:
Ya...too bad you have to install the baddest bolt-on rear suspension setup ever. Poor baby. :violin: :slap: :pissed:

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
bcubed said:
With gas coming down, seen it for $1.67 lately
:wtf: :whoa: :whoa:

gas here in florida is still like 1.95 up to 2.01 a gallon. before it went up, 1.67 was about normal.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I had some BAD shimmy problems when I 1st bagged mine. At 55 it was pretty bad, 65 awful, 70 OMG, and at 75 it went away. I took a look at everything and I needed new balljoints so I got some MOOG's, I went ahead and got some McGaughy's 2" drop spindles while I had the front suspension tore down. Now it's minimal and I hardly notice it

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The KP kit won't take you long. It took me 8 hours, with the help of my g/f. Rollin20's helped, and used the wrong bolts for EVERYTHING!!!! :ninja: I had to go back and do it all over again when his punkass left :whip:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't have a shimmy but I still have a bit of a bounce. I'm convinced it's just the way the truck rides. I was afraid it was from lowering it but I only had it for a few hundred miles when I lowered it so I really never got that used to it. Also, it is totally smooth on some freeways compared to others so I think it's just truck suspension is stiffer and I feel it more.

Our gas is still $2.29 or so but my other car gets worse mileage and runs on premium so that doesn't help

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts