GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so went to lube joints today, and with one pump, the upper joint in my driverside shot a whole in it, not because i overfilled it but since it had been low so long there was a nice crease from it streching, the passenger side didnt pop but has very bad wear too, do i now need to replace the joint ? almost all the new grease just came out of the new small hole being its the upper to replace i would have to get a new alignment
if i do one side ill probable do both so not to waste the alignment

damn thought this guy took better care of the truck in the process of doing all maintenance. right now i have done maintenance just lube joints
doing trans flush/filter, air filter, sea foam,
thanks for your time guys if you guys think a picture would help let me know

05 silverado 1500 hd crewcab

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
no matter what kind of insane maintence you do the rubber on your ball joints will crack/leak/pop. happens to everybody. i rode mine for awhile with it leak without problems i just made sure grease stayed in there the best i could. you will need to get another alinment if you replace them bc you have to take the control arms off. the lowers new ones can be pressed in but the uppers i think can only be replaced. cant just get the rubber replaced.

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
Just keep them greased up. Only replace them when they have play in them.

Hell I drove my truck with busted factory ball joint boots for 3 years till I replaced them when I went 4/6. They were still good and tight.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks fellas ill check and make sure its tight i will prob change it in the near future thought, i may or maynot change the whole upper control arm just to make it easier, any brand you guys suggest ? im gonna do both sides as the passenger side looks close to failing and not gonna waste a trip to the alignment shop

and any soild how to guides on how to change upper ball joint thanks fellas you have been very helpful
i have a few from searching but looking for all i can read

1 - 5 of 5 Posts