GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I got everything ready to re-install and guess what... One of the holes on the spindles is too small. The lower ball joint won't go through the hole at all. The upper one goes in there fine without having to flip the arm. They came off of a 99-01 Silverado and everything else seems to fit fine without any problems? Would it hurt to drill them out a little?

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
you have to turn the joints the other way. flip the upper control arm over and drill out the lower balljoint and put it on upside down. as well as the tie rod. just look at the taper of the hole. that should tell you which way to put them in. i had the same problem with mine. after i did this i cant fit my stock rims on because the tie rod sticks out too far. hope this helps some

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn all that work just for 2" control arms are so much easier if you're goin with a static drop. So how exactly do I flip the tie rod. What did you use to put the lower arms balljoint back in place? It's a bitch to do right? Re-read it I explained it wrong. lol I feel like a newbie, I've just always worked with control arms and this is my 1st on spindles.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
i had a hell of a time with my spindles. its the worst thing. the tie rod, i just took a hold of it and turned it over, as for the lower balljoint, heh good luck, i ground off all the heads, then took a small dripp bit about 3/4 through the rivet, then a bigger bit, then a bigger bit. with the rivet drilled out, heat it up and use a punch and hammer them out. i just put the ball joints back in with bolts, 1000 miles and going strong. i just tightened mine up and they were not loose at all. its hard to explain on here but if any more questions, pm me and i will give u my number.
*edit* dont forget an alignment

·
Registered
342 Posts
fullthrottledan said:
i had a hell of a time with my spindles. its the worst thing. the tie rod, i just took a hold of it and turned it over, as for the lower balljoint, heh good luck, i ground off all the heads, then took a small dripp bit about 3/4 through the rivet, then a bigger bit, then a bigger bit. with the rivet drilled out, heat it up and use a punch and hammer them out. i just put the ball joints back in with bolts
Unfortunately this is how its got to be done. Most of us have been there before. U could bring your lower control arm to a shop and have them press them out, but it depends how quick u want your truck back on the road, and how much green u got in your pocket. Good luck

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
i have worked with those spindles and i removed the ones way2hi has from the other truck they were on.... you do have to flip the lower ball joint upside down and then flip the upper control arm. do not drill anything out. i had ZERO problems removing them, and you shouldnt have any probs putting them on... if you need to talk to me about how to finish it, PM me and give me your # and ill try to walk you through it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys you've been alot of help and I really appreciate the help alot. I looked at the spindles again and know exactly what i have to do to them. Flip the upper control arms, flip the ball joints, and turn the tie rod ends upside down. The only thing I need to know forsure is do I have to flip the sway bar or not?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
way2hi said:
thanks guys you've been alot of help and I really appreciate the help alot. I looked at the spindles again and know exactly what i have to do to them. Flip the upper control arms, flip the ball joints, and turn the tie rod ends upside down. The only thing I need to know forsure is do I have to flip the sway bar or not?

i know the sway bars werent flipped on that other truck, and i dont remember the tierods being flipped either

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
that i dont remember off hand... but i wanna say factory

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
actually, i dont think the bolts were shorter just the center pin between the control arm and the sway bar was shorter, i will check tomorrow

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah please do. I know when I took my DJM arms off I had to use the factory ones because the DJM's wouldn't come close to fitting

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Wow. I take it these aren't McGaughy's huh? Mine were nowhere near this complicated to install, and they're only $150 or so.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I've ran into a problem, while trying to take the upper C. arm off the bolts bottomed out on my bags cups. The only thing I can figure to do is to cut the bolts and get another set at a junkyard.

Do you have to flip the upper control arm with the McGaughty's?

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
From what I hear, Mcgaughy's spindles (at least the tahoe ones for 17" rims or bigger) are a direct replacement of the stock one. No modifications whatsoever.....

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I didn't have to no. Why can't you yank your bag cups though? I'd imagine if you blew a bag you'd have to pull it, so why not now?

Either way though, the only thing to remember about the McGaughy's is to use LOCTITE. Don't ask how I know :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts