GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flat Top Pistons, Trick Flow Heads, 224/230 high lift cam from EPS, 60 pound injectors, Long Tubes with Dual 3 inch and Spintechs. I'm I out of my mind if I say fuck it and buy the Holley HiRam with a 102mm TB? As for torque: 33s and 4.88 gears leave little to be desired in that department.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
I'd say go for it if you want to rev high and/or boost.

I was set on getting one until I got an LSX-R for free.
I don't really think you'll have need or much benefit from a 102mm TB on a 5.3, but if you do you'll want a 4" CNC MAF housing with the new style slot MAF.

I see they have a mid size Holley as well, but haven't researched much about how it alters power delivery. It's main draw seems to just be fitting them under car hoods though.

If you want more torque you need a stroker or atleast more cubes.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured since I'm going with Scat connecting rods might as well nosebleed the thing. I found an article Super Chevy did on a 5.3 stroker. They were peaking at 6,400 but it's hard to compare since they had a longer stroke yet a 232/240 cam. I'm gonna go for it. Worst case I got a great intake if I ever built a 408ci LQ4.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I would think the TB would be over kill... but the intake would help if you like high revs like stated. I been debating on getting one myself

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I am really thinking of swapping to a hi ram but unless you are willing to step up to a 3600-4000 stall I wouldn't do it
You will lose a lot of low end but will gain it up top
If you are wanting to spin to 7k with a lose stall then giver but in all reality a tbss with a 87mm will work just fine for you
I didn't lose bottom end with my LSXRT and 90mm FYI

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
I wouldn't bother dropping so much coin on the 5.3.

I was kind of in that same boat a long time ago... and gotta say I'm kind of glad I lost that 5.3 to a broken valve spring. I would have heavily regretted spending as much money on a 5.3 as I wanted to before I began researching things more...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am really thinking of swapping to a hi ram but unless you are willing to step up to a 3600-4000 stall I wouldn't do it
You will lose a lot of low end but will gain it up top
If you are wanting to spin to 7k with a lose stall then giver but in all reality a tbss with a 87mm will work just fine for you
I didn't lose bottom end with my LSXRT and 90mm FYI
Already have the TBSS manifold on the truck. Guess the HiRam is a no go. If I find a semi floater H2 or Escalade rear then i'll add the HiRam with a turbo off the front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts