GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so Thursday I was leaving to go and get my new tires and wheels mounted (sig), and then I was going to get an alignment (tbar crank) Thursday. Well, I got stuck in the snow because a plow truck forced me over onto an embankment, and then I had to have a trash truck pull me out. Well then the trash truck pulled me out, he actually picked up the rear of my Tahoe, and I was in reverse. I heard a little noise, but it makes noises all the time so I didn't think anything of it. Well, I got home, got my wheels and stuff, and then I was going to head out. Well it snowed, so I had to put it in 4wd just to get out of my driveway. Well the rear wasn't pulling at all, it was only one tire up front pulling, so I look in the back, and my driver's side, rear tire was sitting about 4" out of the fender (not good for a stock tire and wheel). So I had to take the rear axle apart in 10-12" of snow, and I came to find that the C clip had fallen out. I took every part to the dealerships so that they could tell me what was up. The C clip was in perfect condition, as well as the axle shaft. So I was quite confused. They told me that it was a freak accident, and that it wouldn't happen again. So I put everything back together, and what have you. Working in a foot of snow is not fun at all.

So I got it all back together yesterday, and left for Jay Wolf Honda (my step dad's main dealership) to get my 33's, and 15x8's mounted and balanced. Everything is working fine, except the brakes are being gay. I got to the store, and they started doin the tires and wheels. I asked them about the brakes, and explained my situation about the axle. They put some more fluid in the master cylinder and said that my wheel cylinder in the driver side rear was goin out, and is probably leaking. Every mechanic in there told me that the rear axle thing was a freak thing, and wouldn't happen again. So I was cool with it... my Tahoe was looking badass and everything was fixed. Or so I thought.

So I go to my Mom's store to show her, and then I head on over to mu buddy's house (he was with me the whole time). So then I am driving about 60 (in a 65 - traffic), and I start to slow down because the road changed directions, and then I heard two tiny little clicks. I start to slow down, because I'm paranoid about stuff, and I want to check it out. And all of a sudden my buddy turned around and yells "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!". All I can see in the rear view mirror is sparks, and I look to the left on the road, and my driver side axle shaft, along with tire, wheel, and drum are rolling down the road past me. I have no brakes at all. I only stopped, because my axle housing was dragging on the ground. THe tire and wheel kept on rolling, and rolling, until it hit a rock wall thinger and stopped. I am very luckly that nobody got hit by the Tahoe and/or the tire/wheel/axle. Keep in mind it was almost 7pm... which is still quasi-rush-hour. So, on one hand, I was lucky that I didn't die. But on the other hand, I am pissed off, because I know I did everything right. The only thing that it could be, is that the Auburn posi got messed up when them fawkers pulled me out. But then again, I have jumped my tahoe, and the only damage I have ever had was broken shocks up front.

So we had it towed to Jay Wolfe Chevy, so that I can get the family discount from my step dad, and we are trying to get some other stuff done while it's there (i.e. alignment, windshield wiper controls[recalled], front shock, brake cylinder). My guess is that it'll be the Auburn and it'll get replaced with a Gov-lock. Who knows. That auburn was a lot better then the govlock I had stock, but I just want my damn truck back together. I have a lot of money into this damn rear axle now - and I am Mr. hate-the-half-ton.

Oh well, we'll see.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
:eek: :wtf: That is horrible, and could have been alot worse. Glad you and your friend are alright.

BD

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
glad to see your here to talk about it! Itll be ok

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea I thank God that I didn't die. My dad would have died of a heart attack, because my sister died in February in a car accident too (6 years ago). I personally think that there are a few things that saved my life... the wider profile tires, superior driving skills, the fact I was slowing down, road was very well cleaned (no snow), and I kept my cool.

91bowtie - That's awesome. I was about a mile south of the Missouri River on 635 going north from downtown Overland Park.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Aquaman said:
91bowtie - That's awesome. I was about a mile south of the Missouri River on 635 going north from downtown Overland Park.
635 should have been packed at 6pm. :eek:

I wish all this snow would hurry up and melt. All of the major streets are clean down here, but none of the side streets have been touched. My street has about 3" of packed snow/ice, and I live at the bottom of a hill, so I can't move the truck till the snow melts. The last time I drove it was 9 days ago. :LOL:

I sent ya a PM. :cheers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the PM, replying now...

I haev to put it in 4wd to get out of my driveway. When I was fixing the Tahoe the first time, my buddy got his Powerstroke (cc/sb) stuck in my yard, and then my dad got his Duramax (cc/sb) stuck tryin to get him out. Took 3 hours to get both of them out of there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so we told the shop to fix everything that was wrong with it, except for the front shocks and the alignment. So when I heard a grinding noise when I would slow down I figured it was my tire rubbing because it would nose over. WEll it turns out my brakes were metal on metal THANKS JAY WOLFE CHEVY! ass hats!

Anyway, Auburn gave me a whole new diff for free thanks, in most part, to Inland Truck Parts.

Brakes are fixed... needs some more trimming though. I also need to get new shocks, lift the rear up 1" more, dump the exhaust right behind the cats, get an alignment, and hope it doesn't brake too much in the mean time...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm a little confused, because the passenger side tire rubs ALOT more then the driver side. As in... passenger side rubs on flat ground when I'm turning right. ?weird?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK so you assume that if you have a shop (not to mention that it's a dealership) rebuild your rear axle, that it won't leak all over the place. I kept noticing spots. I have no leaks in the engine compartment, trans, front case, or tcase. But I do have a huge amount of wetness from the rear diff. DRIP, DRIP, DRIP... you can see it dripping. I filled her back up, and I'm going to Jay Wolfe Chevy the first chance I get. They are going to get new ass holes eventually... :whip:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was my fault. The breather was clogged with tons of mud and the pressure blew the seal. They fixed it for free anyway, because of who I was. :bowtie:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts