GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little guidance on how to properly connect a horn. I bought an 03 Silverado that was originally a 6 cylinder truck. Its got a 5.3 in it now with electric fans and 4L80E trans. I noticed I didn't have a high side for the horn. I checked for the wire connector and that is missing as well. I can't find it anywhere. Not sure if that would have been used for the electric fan or ????

Either way I got a wire connector and high side horn. I'm relocating them to the grille area as well. I rooted out the low side wiring and found the green wire and ground that appears to be tied in with other grounds and a piece of heat shrink with dot yellow dashes.

Can anyone tell me how to properly tap the green power wire for the high side horn? I was going to splice the green wire from the low side horn but felt that would be a hack job and didn't want to go that route.
Would I need to find the horn relay and wire the green wire into that? Is there an easy way to do that?

As for the ground I was thinking on just grounding it to frame with the electric fan grounds, battery ground and some other ground thats bolted to the mounting post of the frame.
I searched around YT but so far havent found exactly my problem on how to go about this.
Here are some photos of what Ive done so far.

Attachments

·
Some dude on the internet
1,423 Posts
You can splice the two horn powers together, nothing wrong with that. Just make sure it's a good connection with a good butt splice and heat shrink. For ground, you can do what you suggested, or anywhere else you have good clean metal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts