GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I scored a really good deal on a 2"/4" Hotchkis drop. My question is this. I was really looking for a 4"/6" drop, buy got such a good deal on the Hotchkis drop I couldn't pass it up. Is it possible to combine the coils with a 2" drop spindle or control arm and a 2" drop shackles at the rear? Will this make the ride horrible or what? I know I will have to put in a c-notch, but does anyone know if I would have to do anything else? If this is a stupid idea let me know and I will just go with the 2"/4".

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I don't see why that wouldn't work. The control arms should be fine with them and i know a few people have put shackes on those leafs to get a 5" or 6" rear drop.

I think you'll be ok doing that :waytogo:

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
its what i'll be doing if i want to go lower than the 2/4 i'll be puttin on... 1badgmc gave me the idea.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
i would do the Mc Gaughy spindles and a shackle in the back...

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
lowred said:
i would do the Mc Gaughy spindles and a shackle in the back...
:word: I think that's the spindles I'm going with if I go 5/7 instead of a 4/6. Still not sure yet. I have the Belltech Drop leafs in the rear and the shackles set to 1" to get my 5. Very easy install too.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have a pair of 2" spindles in my garage. They look like belltech. A friend that works at a dealership gave 'em to me, they were pulled off a trade in truck.

·
Registered
342 Posts
onyx_silverado said:
its what i'll be doing if i want to go lower than the 2/4 i'll be puttin on... 1badgmc gave me the idea.
Rule of thumb, if your thinkin about goin lower, but your not sure about it, go lower, cuz you'll want to at a later date. Might as well bite the bullet and get it over with. Good luck with it. :cheers:

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
the rear of my truck wasnt quite as low as my front so i put my drop shackes back on the rear with my 4/6 drop and it seems to work good so far, but i had to cut my bed so the rearend stopped slamming into it.

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
Silvlowrdr said:
Rule of thumb, if your thinkin about goin lower, but your not sure about it, go lower, cuz you'll want to at a later date. Might as well bite the bullet and get it over with. Good luck with it. :cheers:

i thought about it, but i think the 2/4 is going to suit me best for what i 'm goin to need done as of now....

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Sevenfold said:
Cut your bed? I don't see how this would solve your problem. You'll need to c-notch your frame if you are going that low though.l :superhack
I think he means notching one of the cross bars that helps support the bed because it sounds like the differential was hitting it, i believe the belltech kit comes with a "bed notch" while the DJM doesn't. I've heard a "bang" a few times from the back and i think it is the rear differential hitting the bed since i'm pretty sure i'm not bottoming out in my notch, especially since i have the button bumpstops :)

I also remember a friend of mine who installed bags notched the bed (not the actual bed floor, just that crossbeam) to get a little lower :superhack

·
THE VIKING !!!
279 Posts
Speaking of lowering components , I need one inch in the front .. Im about to just cut the freaking spring , I dont really look foward to buying a new front setup ..

What can I do ??

·
THE VIKING !!!
279 Posts
DemoN said:
have you considered a 1" drop coil? i personally wouldn't cut the coil, you end up effecting the spring properties
I cant find a 1" drop coil , If you know where I cant get one .. POST IT UP DEMON before I kill You ... :D

PLEASE ....

Also , yes I was joking about cutting the springs .. I just wish I could get the front to come down a lil .. :(

·
THE VIKING !!!
279 Posts

·
THE VIKING !!!
279 Posts
SierraSport said:
Thanks James , I knew you where good for something .. Next time I see ya I will buy you lunch or something .. :D
Are they a good company and will they stiffin my front suspension up or will it be all car like still??

<---Getting sick of teh body roll ...

·
Registered
255 Posts
if i remember correctly, they are a big rice suspension component manufacturer...... and not a very good one i might add. i have no idea about their truck parts.

*edit-Eibach makes a 1.5 inch drop coil

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
mood_indigo said:
if i remember correctly, they are a big rice suspension component manufacturer...... and not a very good one i might add. i have no idea about their truck parts.

*edit-Eibach makes a 1.5 inch drop coil
:word: i haven't heard good things about that company...

If you went with the eibach springs you'd be at a 6.5" front drop on lowpros :eek: Looks like you'd almost be laying tranny crossmember at that point just trying to move forward ;)

·
THE VIKING !!!
279 Posts
Y2KSierra said:

If you went with the eibach springs you'd be at a 6.5" front drop on lowpros :eek: Looks like you'd almost be laying tranny crossmember at that point just trying to move forward ;)
It wouldnt look like it , I WOULD BE !!!!! :D

·
THE VIKING !!!
279 Posts
DemoN said:
i dont know enough about the company to tell you. but i tell you what, i'll shoot them a few emails and check thier compression rates for ya.
If you could that would be great , what is the stock spring rate for these trucks ??

·
Registered
255 Posts
Y2KSierra said:

yeah....i didn't say it was a good idea, just the closest i could find :sorry: :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts