GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Window Cleaner
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm currently putting on SUV rear dual piston calipers and rotors on my 2004 Silverado. The passenger side went smooth and had no problems. The driver side as I was installing the new e-brake shoes, I sheered off the tiny bolt that holds the bracket for the brake shoe. No idea how I got it that tight that quick, but what's done is done. Obviously I need to use an EZ out, but the rear axle hub is too close to get a drill lined up. I can grab pics for reference. What I'm likely going to have to do is drain my diff (that I just changed in September), remove the c-clip holding the drivers axle, and pull it out enough to fit my drill. Will I have to replace the seal if I slide the axle out a few inches? I have no leaks or problems with the axle seal or bearing, so I'd rather not replace them. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The axle shaft can be removed and then reinstalled without seal replacement. Although sometimes depending how old it is it's cheap insurance to just do it while it's apart.

·
Window Cleaner
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The axle shaft can be removed and then reinstalled without seal replacement. Although sometimes depending how old it is it's cheap insurance to just do it while it's apart.
Thanks for the speedy reply sir. As far as I know, the seal is stock. I suppose I can look into doing the seal too.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Im not too proud of it, but I actually welded that little bracket on a truck a few years ago. It does work if you're in a pinch.

·
STOCK TRUCK
1,323 Posts
Nah, seal replacement isnt necessary. If it doesnt leak, dont bother with it. Good luck with the EZ-out. Sucks.

·
Window Cleaner
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not too proud of it, but I actually welded that little bracket on a truck a few years ago. It does work if you're in a pinch.
Glad I'm not the only one to strip that stupid bolt. Unfortunately welding isn't one of my skills. I'd like to learn some day though.

Aside from not having my parking brake, is there any other downside to driving around without the parking brake shoe in place until I get a chance to tear into it again? If it will effect anything negatively, then I'll go ahead and pull the axle and hopefully get that bolt out of there.

I'd have been done with this if I hadn't effed that up. :banghead:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had that whole assembly apart to replace the backing plates and had the same thing happen. I had just enough wiggle room to drill it out from the back, but it was a pain. I really wish I had just pulled the axle, but it worked. Tapped it for a bigger bolt, and it went back together.

I'm no authority on this, I personally wouldn't worry about driving with it gutted. Just make sure to get both halves of the adjuster, and the pin, out of there too. It's almost worthless as an emergency brake, so you're really just losing the parking brake, which probably didn't work before anyway.

·
Window Cleaner
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The parking brake worked okay sometimes. But I rarely even need it. I went ahead and put it all back together for now. I did take out the two halves of the adjuster and the pin. I don't want to throw away the $50 worth of gear oil and gasket that I just put in in September if it's not really needed. Thanks for your input firestorm.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ahh, yeah, mine is over due, so changing the fluid would have been good anyway.

I forgot to mention that, I had some access to the backside with that brake assembly unbolted from the axle housing, mostly because I had the backing plate off. Like I said, it was a pain, and you'd either have to replace the current backplate, or pull the axle out to get that off anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one to strip that stupid bolt. Unfortunately welding isn't one of my skills. I'd like to learn some day though.

Aside from not having my parking brake, is there any other downside to driving around without the parking brake shoe in place until I get a chance to tear into it again? If it will effect anything negatively, then I'll go ahead and pull the axle and hopefully get that bolt out of there.

I'd have been done with this if I hadn't effed that up. :banghead:
I'd think you'll be fine as long as nothing rubs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts