GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 77 Chevy pickup, 350 ci, leaks some gas, 2 wheel drive long bed, and gets 8 mpg on average empty. It is all stock, and im wondering what I can do to update it some, intake fuel wise, to help it get better mileage. What do you suggest?

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
1. Fix Fuel Leak
2. Overdrive
3. TPI :bowtie:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Amazing what a timing light will reveal. Had a motor that was supposed to be 8* before top dead center. It was at 12* past TDC. :nono: SOOOOOO much better once adjusted.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Captian obvious here...maybe fix the fuel leak?
well no shit, and it doesnt leak a lot, just a tad bit, but im scrapping the quadrajunk anyway, I want to know what to replace it with, another carb or go TBI.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Stick in a 200-4R

Drop on a TBI setup

Get some better heads.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
1. Tune-up
2. TBI=throttle body injection, used from 87-95? in trucks, isn't the greatest for mileage but will get better than 8mpg and will be simpler than multi-port (like a vortec used in 96-current trucks).
3. rear-end ratio and tranny, I'd put a 700R4 in for easy swapability and OD.
4. My GF has a 79 with a 350, TH350, NP203, 10blt frnt, 12blt rear, and 3.08 gears with 31x10.50's. It gets 8mpg in town, but gets about 12mpg on the highway becuase of the 3.08's.

I have an 88' K1500 with 3.73's, 32's, TBI 350 with some engine mods, 700R4, and I get 14-18mpg.

·
****** Chiludo
586 Posts
TPI or TBI? which should I do? and whats the diff?
I like TPI better. TPI is better for more power than the TBI setup and IMO looks sweet! Don't know how much harder it would be to install in comparison to the TBI, maybe someone who has experience with the two will post up.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
TPI > TBI. TPI is multiport EFI, uses more fuel pressure so you'd want to add an inline pump.

I'd try to find the L98 (I believe) heads from a 'Vette too, they're aluminum and flow decent for an idle to 5400rpm truck motor. Pair that with a 200-4R, you'll gain GOBS of power, acceleration, and economy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts