GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
bombs on target
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i am planning on lifting my truck, but the way everyone talks about the 10 bolt scares the shit out of me. what can i do to protect it? should i find a 14bolt and swap that in? would it be a direct swap? any help is appreciated. im just trying to cover all of my bases way in advance.

oh i currently have 3.73 gears and plan on going with a 7 inch lift with 35's and 20's. not plannig on much if any offroading, but want to not have to worry.

please help the lift newb!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I wouldnt change out to a 14 bolt until youre 10 bolt goes out on you. why waste the money for nothing. the 10 bolt is strong enough. I ran 38s on my old truck for 2 years and 36s for 2 more years with the 10 bolt and stock gears and never had any problems. youll be fine in my opinion. and youre only going with 35s with not much offroad time so you shouldnt ever have a problem with the 10 bolt.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I wouldnt change out to a 14 bolt until youre 10 bolt goes out on you. why waste the money for nothing.
you're absolutely right. why waste the money building the truck right, when you can chance the 10 bolt and improper gears. if you're really lucky you'll snap an axle shaft. when it comes out, it will grind all kinds of neat things off of your undercarriage, and it will take the drum with it, leaving you with zero brakes. when the stock carrier explodes (as most do) it may lock up, twisting your driveshaft, and possibly damaging your transfer case and/or trans in the process. 3.73 gears wont be worth a shit with 35s and 20s, so you'll need to regear anyways. find a 14SF, regear it, and dont worry about it anymore. if its worth doing, its worth doing right the first time.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Eric you'll be fine with your 10 bolt man. If you have the money and everything then yeah swap the 14 SF and regear it. But i would just keep your 10 bolt, regear it and drive the hell out of it. they really arent as bad as ppl make them out to be, especially just street driven, and as far as i can tell you baby your truck bc it always looks great

·
bombs on target
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool it just scared me on that one thread where the guy said his axle fell out. i would be pissed!!!

and as far as i can tell you baby your truck bc it always looks great
thanks man...your truck looks good too. saw you on 14th the other day. cant even tell it was wrecked. and the guys i work with always give me shit for my truck being so clean.

·
Registered
215 Posts
u talking about his axle falling out and loosing a tire..if so thats me...yea i was so pissed when it happened..but that axle has always been bad since i got in a diffrent accident it has always been bent...thanks to the dealer for not replacing it...u should be fine if you are just street driving it

·
Registered
640 Posts
you're absolutely right. why waste the money building the truck right, when you can chance the 10 bolt and improper gears. if you're really lucky you'll snap an axle shaft. when it comes out, it will grind all kinds of neat things off of your undercarriage, and it will take the drum with it, leaving you with zero brakes. when the stock carrier explodes (as most do) it may lock up, twisting your driveshaft, and possibly damaging your transfer case and/or trans in the process. 3.73 gears wont be worth a shit with 35s and 20s, so you'll need to regear anyways. find a 14SF, regear it, and dont worry about it anymore. if its worth doing, its worth doing right the first time.
youre an idiot. its only 35 inch tires dude. The chance of him actually sustaining the damage that you listed above is about 1 in a million. its not worth spending all that money since theyre only 35 inch tires and he's not going offroad much. thanks for the sarcasm and making up a fake scenerio implying that he would total his whole truck just because he doesnt upgrade to a 10 bolt, real likely:pow:

·
Registered
191 Posts
youre an idiot. its only 35 inch tires dude. The chance of him actually sustaining the damage that you listed above is about 1 in a million. its not worth spending all that money since theyre only 35 inch tires and he's not going offroad much. thanks for the sarcasm and making up a fake scenerio implying that he would total his whole truck just because he doesnt upgrade to a 10 bolt, real likely:pow:

As mentioned above...obviously it does happen. I don't think it makes him an idiot for giving a worst case scenario :shrug:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
1 in a million? that shit happens all the fucking time. it happened to a member the other week...and think, we have maybe 1/1000th of the lifted trucks in the us on this site...maybe less than that. I hear ALL THE FUCKING TIME of where it happens to people.

there really are some stupid mother fuckers on this site. underbuilding a shitty semifloater axle is just stupid. they fail with stock tires all the time...35s are much taller than the 28" tire combo that comes on tehre stock, MUCH MUCH heavier, etc etc etc. The 8.5 10b is pure garbage from the factory. The biggest issue is the carrier itself. they explode at random oftentime. not just crack, explode. guess what that can mean! the clip can fall out REAL easy and then bye bye axleshaft.

like jeremy said when that happens, it pulls the drum off and now you have not only a truck whose backing plate is skidding on the ground, you have no brakes to boot...If you want to do that shit, keep the POS off public roads. theres reasons that many states have lift laws, and part of it is because of hacks, like half the forum is appearntly.

alright, now that the rants over, a 10b isn't a TERRIBLE axle. personally, i wouldn't waste time on a 14bsf. more costly and more headache and its still a shitty semi floater. start off by throwing in an aftermarket carrier and if/when you feel froggy, drop the 300$ for chromo shafts. If you TRUELY think you will have problems with a fairly built 10b, skip the 14sf and go to a 14bff. If you are going to be spending a decent chunk of change and dealing with headaches, atleast make it worth it. Steering and brakes aren't something you hack, period...and when you do something that could easily affect both when it breaks, its jsut plain stupid and crazy.

As mentioned above...obviously it does happen. I don't think it makes him an idiot for giving a worst case scenario :shrug:
the worse case senario he gave was just financial...imagine it losing a shaft at 70 mph and skidding into the family coming your way...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
my 10 bolt blew a G80 with 33's all terrains. Blew an axle shaft with 33" A/T's tire fell out, zero brakes and some sweet body damage when the tire hit it. 10 bolts are great for small cars, and s10 blazers.

·
Registered
640 Posts
1 in a million? that shit happens all the fucking time. it happened to a member the other week...and think, we have maybe 1/1000th of the lifted trucks in the us on this site...maybe less than that. I hear ALL THE FUCKING TIME of where it happens to people.
I was obviously exaggerating. why is this site filled with so many smart ass mother fuckers that gotta make stupid comments to everything people say. All I did was give my experience in the beginning and told him what I thought and even stated that it was just my opinion then some of you guys gotta start being smart ass little bitches about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts