GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 GMC 3/4 ton with the 5.7L in it and need more towing power. I never have enough power. I tow a racercar every week to the track. I was going to buy a HYPERTECH power programmer III and was asking for advice on what to buy to tune this truck up?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
stay away from that hypertech pos...go get a fastchips tune, westers, nelson, pcmforless, those are the top4 programmers around right now. Personally i prefer fastchips because he tunes it specifically to every performance item you have on your vehicle (and he tunes for a 96 Vortec engine.) other than that save some money for a whipple, CAI, new cam, manifold, nitrous, head job, port n polish, etc.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
A PCM tune will help a lot, so will a full exhaust (long tubes). Then do some general stuff to get it running the best it can...

Fuel filter
PCV
Air Filter
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
Racer13x said:
I have a 99 GMC 3/4 ton with the 5.7L in it and need more towing power. I never have enough power. I tow a racercar every week to the track. I was going to buy a HYPERTECH power programmer III and was asking for advice on what to buy to tune this truck up?
Just buy a real truck. :kidding:
By the way welcome to GMFS :head2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jebx said:
What gears do you have in your truck? For towing that is potentially one of the best mods IMO. Gives you the low end grunt you want.

Is the truck stock, as in stock tires, suspention etc?
Yes im getting a exhaust put on true duals i dont know what gears are in it. How can i find out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jebx said:
Look in the glove box and there is a sticker will all kinds of 3 digit codes. Those represent every option on the truck.

GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10
GU6 - 3.42
GH0 = 3.54
GU4 = 3.08
G80 = eaton locking diff (posi)
so if i have GT4 and the G80 it posi with 3.73 gears. is it possible to have it like that

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Its very possible to have that combo...pretty common actually. I have GU4 and G80...3.08 gears and posi...well, according to my RPO sheet i have a G80, its sorta blown up now...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts