GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i went to the tint store today for some prices. I have 5% now, doesnt really seem as dark as it use to. He suggested 2 layers of 15. He said it made it somewhere around 1%. Is that true or a bunch of bull.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you just use simple math to figure it out.
15% tint allows 15% light transmission. So 15% of 15% is about 2.25% light transmission.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

·
Registered
45 Posts
15 on 15 will be really dark. Im sure the 5% hasnt " faded " you've just become more used to it. Mine seemed super dark at first and now i have adjusted fine. watch out for the random people walking in the street making those left hand turns if you go 15 on 15! lol

·
Registered
593 Posts
it may be cheaper to have him just put a layer of 50% on top of your 5 you already have. that would be just above 2.25%

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong, but Ive heard tint comes only in 5, 20, and 35%.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Damn, no shit. Shops lie around here, or dont carry anything. Haha

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
most shops only carry like 20%, 35% and stuff. it'd be exspensive to carry 20 different percents of tint. the place where i got my windows tinted didnt even have anything darker than 20%...

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
the shop here i got the gfs accord windows done at had 50, 35, 20, 10, and 5 i do believe. not sure what, if anything,they had in between.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
the shop here i got the gfs accord windows done at had 50, 35, 20, 10, and 5 i do believe. not sure what, if anything,they had in between.
sounds about the standard. Usually they use the 50 and 35 for windshields and "old people" who want a legal tint. Around here they have 20% 25% and 5%. 20 will pass inspection but 25% is the legal limit if pulled over:think:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would the the 50 over the 5 but the tints really not in that great of shape. Thats what happens when you go with the cheaper place. Costs ya in the long run. On top of that, they gave me a warranty to only close a few months later. Guess ill know next time.

·
Registered
593 Posts
heres a little tip to help you all achieve the darker look without tinting your side windows too dark. if you tint the windshield, preferbly 20%, it will make all your windows look alot darker.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i'm running a layer of 5 over the stock 20 on my back window. you can't see in from outside day or night, and backing up at night is a pain. other than that i have no problems

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
i'm running a layer of 5 over the stock 20 on my back window. you can't see in from outside day or night, and backing up at night is a pain. other than that i have no problems
have 15 over my factory 18 as dark as my front to which are 5%

its a bitch to back up at night but it is a cc with the 6.5 ft bed

1 - 20 of 44 Posts