GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am a mostly broke high school senior who wants to bag a truck. Been dreaming about this for years now and I'm ecstatic to start. Not gonna be that guy that gets a quarter of the way through and gives up. Winter around here is long and cold and boring, so this is what I'm gonna do for the next 8 months :)

I found a pretty clean 58 Apache 3600 stepside on CL and that's most likely what I'm gonna be working on. The guy says it should run with gas and a carb cleaning. Rust repair isn't a huge deal because I like the dents and battle scars. It's an old farm truck with spotlight on the back of the cab and a winch from a boat trailer on the bed. Keeping those, and clear-coating the current paint :)

Since I am a lucky b*stard, my dad is a fabricator/welder/machinist and I more or less have the contents of a machine shop at my disposal.

To cut costs I want to fabricate the rear 4-link bars and all the brackets for the front and rear bags. I have some welding and machining skills and what I can't do my dad can.

Since neither of us have done this before, what should I use for the link ends? Bearings, or bushings, or what?

What size tubing and plate steel should I use?

What are good brands for bags and compressors? I can get valves, line, and tanks myself.

I'm selling a couple of my trucks and my gaming computer for funds. Looking at about a $2200 total budget after purchase of the starter vehicle.

if you have any bits of truck-wizardry you would share I'd love to hear.

·
Going deeper than others
452 Posts
sounds like a cool project, but you are going to need more cash than that imo.
Bags - Slam, firestone are both good.
Comps - Air Zenith, Viair, and have been hearing good things about Monster compressors
Valves - Accuair VU4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions

Something I never thought of... Does the Apache even have IFS? And if not does that make it tougher to bag?

·
Rollin with Saget
1,595 Posts
http://stonerspeedshop.com/portfolio-item/1959-chevrolet-apache-fleetside-with-ls1/

Inspiration...

Looks like they custom fabbed a portion of the frame and put in a whole new front suspension.

Looks like this guy used a Camaro front clip and a custom frame...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=247512

So, just by judging by those 2 builds... using that old of a truck is gonna be A LOT of work, and definitely more than just the $2500 your thinking about.

If you want to stay in that budget, I would probably go for something a lot newer...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy sold his Apache out from under me. So I've decided to go with what manofsteel said and do something a lot newer. I really like the body style on the 2nd gen dodge Dakotas, like 1995ish. Have you heard about any difficulties with those?

This is probably the one I'll do
1995 Dodge Dakota - $2000
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/4679269530.html

S10s are cool and all, but everyone does an S10.

·
Rollin with Saget
1,595 Posts
ive seen Dakota's on bags, but your in the wrong part of the internet for help with that one.

When I said a lot newer, you can still do an older chevy, but go with something that already has IFS. I LOVE (personal opinion) how the old chevys look laid out (70s-80s).

If I go and bag another pickup, im going to look for a second gen (67-72) step side.

I don't want to rain on your parade, I was just wanting to put things into perspective.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,696 Posts
You understand there are reasons everyone does them right? Because aftermarket parts are easier to get and more available. The aftermarket for little dodges is not there. If you want something that not a lot of people are doing it is going to cost you more. Especially if you have never done it. work on getting a truck first and then go from there. You can bag anything but you are just pissing in the wind until then.

·
Registered
96 Posts
With so many affordable options out there on link kits, I would just buy a setup already made. Save the time and headache.

As for bags SLams or Airlifts are the most common used right now

Compressors either Viair or an EDC setup

Valves i personally love the little larrys manual valves. Not a fan of accuair

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know much about the air control side, but some .250 wall round tubing and QA1 has the heim joints and inserts. Just be sure to match them obviously and tabs are everywhere. Depending on the truck you go with, on the axle side a truss mount may be produced already and save you money and time.

Get your truck and start with forums for that truck. Check with vendors and even major retailers for that too.

Most importantly, when you're ready to start working, make sure your plan is solid. This way you aren't doing work several times over and you can anticipate some problems before they arise. Also, with some components, buy once and cry once. Some parts it sucks but its worth it in the long run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts