GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace my fuel pump because it failed on me but I have 3/4 tank of gas. How can I siphon this stuff out because I don't wanna try to deal with this heavy ass tank. I have an acdelco retailer around the corner from my house to get the pump from, just waiting on a day when it's not supposed to rain.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ugh, disgusting, lol. don't really wanna get a mouthfull. Any other way? Do the auto part stores sell some kinda kit to do it?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Some people have been sucessful at disconnecting a line and turning the key on, knocking on the bottom of the tank and the pump working enough to get the gas in a can or two because of no load on the pump. Worth a try if you ask me.

That is how it works with the gas in the tank, both times mine went out I had a 1/2 & 3/4 full tank.

·
Registered
424 Posts
could probably use a siphon that comes with the kerosene heaters?? I think the tube would be long enough to reach down into the tank...

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Just remove the bed. Much easier.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be correct, I have a Yukon... now I gotta go get some tubing and figure out what type of cheap containers I can use for this 15 gallons of gas

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Damn I didn't even notice. Sry for being stupid :crazy:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Have someone turn the ignition, and hit the tank with hammer or wrench. It should trick the pump into working. Thats what we did on dad's truck, ran it for a few days to run some fuel down.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Might check a marine shop - I think they might carry some cheap pumps or siphon kits for draining boat tanks.

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
just use a mexican credit card. use a clear one so you can see the fuel coming for your mouth

·
Registered
8 Posts
aperently he doesnt live in the country where the farmer leaves the tractor out in the field waiting for someone to come by with an old garden hose and gas can to fill up pickup.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was able to siphon the gas after after taking the rubber tube coming from the filler door to the tank and putting the siphoning pump i got from the dollar store right in there. couldnt get it from the regular gas filler door because the tube wont bend down even if it reaches all the way to the tank...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts