GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about this since my friend has a brand new civic. He's had it for a month now and today when I helped him wash it it had a couple of water spots on the window and on the paint. I was like damn how did this happen so quick??

·
Registered
302 Posts
possibly acidic rain. everything should come out fairly easily, though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been a while since it's rained over here though. Yea I've had to get rid of some on my wheels before.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Does he use a chamois to dry the car after each wash?

·
Registered
302 Posts
probably why there's water spots all over it

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Water spots are mineral deposits left behind after water dries. All water, rain, or ground contains some trace amounts of minerals. Depending on where you live it can be very strong or not so bad, but unless the waters being run thru a DI system there is going to be minerals in it.

So likely in your friends case there was water either splashed on it (sprinklers, drive thru a puddle, etc) and the water dried, or it got rained on. Even the buildup of morning dew if its parked outdoors can lead to spots.

Water Etching is something that happens from acid rain or from REALLY severe water spots that are left untreated. In either case something has physically eaten into the paint and made a little ring.

Fixing either is pretty straight forward. Start with a basic washing, follow with clay, then polish and then keep a good coat of wax or sealant on the paint to prevent it from being an issue again.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought it would be something about letting the water dry on the surface as well. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Tell your friend don't worry bout his paint it's a Honda. But if he's still concerned Dylan is right on with what he said.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright so I got to clay bar some of the car today but it appears to have way more than it had before!! I'm having a hard time with the water spots on the window though, does it require more effort or what? The ones on the other part of the car came out pretty quick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts