GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive been putting it off as long as I possibly can and im itching to get this thing back with the power it wants.

Ive got 4.56 Precision gears and install kit for the REAR.

I need to order 4.56 Precision for the front.

Question 1 ... WHERE?
I checked http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/ but they dont list them.. maby ill have to call them.

After MUCH thought I want some input. I think I want to go with the

Detroit Tru-Trac ?

No pads to wear like auburn or Eaton. Suppose to transfer torque to the tire with grip ? Sounds like a nice setup plus its detroit so you know the quality should be there.
want a full locker but for the most part my truck hasnt been in the gooey stuff nearly as much in the past year as It use to so ive decided agains it for now.

So how does that sound?

And it took me almost 8 months to find a free weekend to install my headers so Im just going to bite the bullet and get it done for me.
How much should I expect for JUST the install? Supplying the parts myself?
Dont want to pay to much lol.

thx fur lisnin

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
People who have ordered gears through Stephen (Dark Eternal) always seem to comliment the great price they get. When the time comes for me that is the route I will most likely go. Marcus can probably give you a good description of how he likes his tru-trac, and for gear install front and rear I would think you could expect something in the $350-500 range.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
My input on the tru trac so far. It transfers torque way faster than the g80 did its almost instant. I WILL not spin both tires with one tire that is in the air. I did the test detroit reccomends to check its operation. Put on tire in grass, and put on on pavement(i did it on the side of a road), give enought throttle to see if the tire on the pavement receiving tration. Mine was hahah i was smoking one tire and slinging grass with the other. great for a mildly wheeled rig who needs a little more traction, insted of a full detroit.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
People who have ordered gears through Stephen (Dark Eternal) always seem to comliment the great price they get. When the time comes for me that is the route I will most likely go. Marcus can probably give you a good description of how he likes his tru-trac, and for gear install front and rear I would think you could expect something in the $350-500 range.

I thought DE's shop only carried Yukon gears or something like that. Well I thought I remember him posting that before somewhere.?:think:

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My input on the tru trac so far. It transfers torque way faster than the g80 did its almost instant. I WILL not spin both tires with one tire that is in the air. I did the test detroit reccomends to check its operation. Put on tire in grass, and put on on pavement(i did it on the side of a road), give enought throttle to see if the tire on the pavement receiving tration. Mine was hahah i was smoking one tire and slinging grass with the other. great for a mildly wheeled rig who needs a little more traction, insted of a full detroit.
So basically it did EXACTLY what it was suppose to?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Yeah they handle yukon gears. Im sure you can find someone who can help you find them man.. precision is a good brand of gears too.

EDIT******
to answer brandons question. YES it does what its supposed to do, transfer torque, not be a full locker. Im satisfied with it. I think is you want a LSD tru trac is they way to go...

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Brandon, what do you plan to do as far as differentials concern?

9,763 Posts
Question 1 ... WHERE?
I checked http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/ but they dont list them.. maby ill have to call them.
I would definately recommend PORC. They were wonderful when I ordered my gears, my torsion bars, and my Detroit True Trac. They priced matched for me and gave me an awesome deal. I talked to Alex when I did my transaction BTW>

Detroit Tru-Trac ?
Without a doubt man. I loved mine and it does exactly what it should. It isn't a full locker but it is an awesome piece for a daily driver and offroading toy.

How much should I expect for JUST the install? Supplying the parts myself?
I paid I think around 300-400 when I had mine done by my mechanic. He normally gives me good deals. I think the next quote I got tho was like $450-500 for front and rear so I wouldn't pay much more than that.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brandon, what do you plan to do as far as differentials concern?

Not sure I follow you on this one?

I want a Detroit! 2 problems though. Not sure how long the 8.5" will like me if I go that route (want it to last as long as possible)
and two. Ive been super buisy the last year or so (hardly ever even get on GMFS much and post) and have not had the truck out playing in I cant tell you when. Its been over a year. Have been out on the farm doing stuff .. working, hunting, fishing.. But no 4wheelin. And the few chances I have had ive been out on the 4wheeler with some guys.
So for NOW I dont think that a full detoit is the best option. A year ago I would have said yes.. and a year from now I might regret it. But currently I dont want to roll the G80 with 4.56 and I want something that will hold its own offroad. But still be great for the street.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
porc was awesome to deal with, highly recommend them as well, good cust service and the best prices i found when i got gears and my elocker. just call them, they were really helpful when i talked to em, dont remember who i talked to though. should be a good setup

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Not sure how long the 8.5" will like me if I go that route (want it to last as long as possible)
You are removing the most problematic area of the 10b. Shafts may not like you later, but chromos are fairly cheap...then you have to worry about the ring and pinoin, but you gotta be doing something real right to get that to break.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would definately recommend PORC. They were wonderful when I ordered my gears, my torsion bars, and my Detroit True Trac. They priced matched for me and gave me an awesome deal. I talked to Alex when I did my transaction BTW>

Without a doubt man. I loved mine and it does exactly what it should. It isn't a full locker but it is an awesome piece for a daily driver and offroading toy.

I paid I think around 300-400 when I had mine done by my mechanic. He normally gives me good deals. I think the next quote I got tho was like $450-500 for front and rear so I wouldn't pay much more than that.

Thanks for the input
Yea Ill have to call them. They are not showing any R&P Precision for GM axels?
Remember where you found a price for the TrueTrac for a lower price you got them to match?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I got my stuff With DE he gave me a good price.

·
4,725 Posts
I got mine from DE, he price beat for me, as I found a pretty killer price.

PORC is awesome people.

www.DC4wd.com is totally awesome, they're who I got DE to price match with, their prices are SYCK man.... $217 shipped for any Ford D60 front gear ratio and master install kit.

9,763 Posts
Thanks for the input
Yea Ill have to call them. They are not showing any R&P Precision for GM axels?
Remember where you found a price for the TrueTrac for a lower price you got them to match?
Man I honestly can't remember where I found it price matched. I didn't even have to show them...I just told Alex on the phone and he said ok we can match that. I found it for $375 BTW. Everything I got from them, they were cheaper than ANYWHERE else. Just call them and talk to them and mention you are a member on Pirate and they will hook you up man.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Brandon you wont be dissapointed with the tru trac LSD. You then take out the weakest link of the 10 bolt.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brandon you wont be dissapointed with the tru trac LSD. You then take out the weakest link of the 10 bolt.

Yea ive been thinking the same thing.

It Looks "sound" like it acts more like a "locker" than Auburn and Eaton's LSD's do

1 - 18 of 18 Posts