GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
место рождения
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a price quote from firestone and they want $155.00 to do the front brakes, plus $200.00 to do the rotors if i need them. i priced everything out from autozone, and it came out to $40.00 for brakes or $60.00 for the ceramic brakes, and $28.00 for each rotor.

now my question is how hard is it to do brakes by yourself?

any special tools that i would need?

is there any clear do it yourself guides?

and how would i determine if i need new rotors?

thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's actually pretty easy. Just a few basic hand tools and a jack are needed.

-Jack up the truck and remove the wheel.
-Remove the caliper from the hub (should be two bolts on the back side). Not sure what type they are as i havent done them on an escalade.
-Remove the front pad (the one that is closest to the wheel). My menthod is then to use a big "C" clamp and depress against the rear pad to make sure the piston is fully depressed to allow room for the new pads when you slide it back over the rotor. Pop the top off the master cylinder to allow a place for the fluid and pressure to go. Depending on how full it is a little bit of fluid may overflow.
-Then remove the rear pad and insert the new pads.
-Its a good idea to atleast get your current rotors turned if not replacing them. If they are warped, replaced them. If you take them to a good brake shop they should turn them for a few bucks and will let you know if they have work to their minimum thickness or if they are warped too bad to turn.
-If you are putting on new rotors then just simply clean them with a good brake cleaner and slide them on.
-Slip the caliper back over the rotor with the new pads in and bolt back down
-Put your wheel back on then follow the break in procedure that came with the rotors and pads

This is also a good time to clean the calipers and such since everything is of the way. Its really just that simple.

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
dont need no spreader, just use a C-clamp. or u can take a flat head screw driver and pry them back, but clamps are easier. the only thing special u'll need is a T-55 hex tool to remove the front caliper bolts.

dont buy autozone shit

·
Registered
561 Posts
dont need no spreader, just use a C-clamp. or u can take a flat head screw driver and pry them back, but clamps are easier. the only thing special u'll need is a T-55 hex tool to remove the front caliper bolts.

dont buy autozone shit

C clamp works like a charm for me. Couldnt remember what it was on chevy's. The last set i did was on my TA and they were metric bolts. :think:

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Advance Auto offers Wagner ThermoQuiets, theyre a lot better pad. they also offer wagner rotors

I love Wagners. Definately go with them or Hawks. Bendix is my 3rd choice.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Or if you want to upgrade you can go with Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads. But then you would be back up in price, probably a little more than what that shop quoted you. You would also have MUCH better brakes.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
ont he pickups u need as cook said the tx-55 for the caliper, also if u plan to pull the rotors, u will needc a 18 mm socket, i have a big C clamp i use for compressinmg the piston back into the caliper. i use that and a old pad to compress it

i dont beleive on just putting pads on, i either put new rotors on or get them turned, prefered is new rotors, because its faster and easier, but more expensive then getting them turned.

·
Maroon,Black,Chrome
3,347 Posts
if you are going o do the brakes just go ahead and upgrade to slotted rotors and some ceramic pads. But it is an easy process, 2 bolts per wheel and the brake compressor.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Biggest problem is frozen bolts. Buy a bottle of brake fluid and drain out everything, while you're at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts