GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is to replace upper and lower ball joints? and axle u-joints?
please let me know
do i need any special tools? press? i would really like to do this myself and save some money
thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
We just did these on my friends K5, well if you don't have the right tools it can be one big pain in the ass honestly. He has a kinda press made for doing ball joints it is pretty much a really heavy duty C-clamp with some attachments but it makes things alot easier. good luck man

·
Banned
487 Posts
dkj,,,, axle u joints can be a pain..

I remember doing one on my blazer... Take the tire off, take off the lockout hub.. theres 2 nut type dealies you spin off then theres a lock collar type.. that thing is a PITA. then you slide the rotor off.

Depending on axle style you might have a c-clip holding it in on the pumpkin which would involve takin your diff. cover off and looking. Then it should pull out.

Thats just removing the axleshaft!!!! you still gotta get the u-joint out! :anitoof:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Autozone will rent u out a balljoint press. Balljoints are cake to do imo. U joints are a lil tougher but not impossible. I say go for it. There's nothing in there your gonna break as long as your careful and pay attention how everything came apart. Good luck tho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts