GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Max
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is the install of a pitman arm and an idler arm? I would like to install them on my own but before I do it I want to find out whats needed to do the install and how hard it is and also how to do it. Thanks!

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Rent a pitman arm puller from NAPA. Youll need a large adjustable wrench to get the nut off the pitman arm. Youll also need i think 18mm socket to loosen the steering box since you cant get the puller in there all the way.

Idler arm is about the same procedure. Would do the tierods as well that way you can replace it all at once and pay for just one alignment. Also can remove the center link which aloows you to get to the idler arm easier. Mine was a real pain to get off.

If your a competent mechanic you should be able to handle the above without a problem. I had never done this til 2 months ago or so and it took me about 5 hrs, 1 12 pack Coors Light, 3 bandaids, 1/4 can of Copenhagen long cut and lots of cussing and swearing.

EDIT: just saw your other post. But the cognito braces and do it all at once to save you time and energy and theyll help prolong the life of the new parts.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Its not so bad IF they come off. Its getting them off thats a bitch. I tried a puller, a pickle fork, air fork, air chisel and anything you could think of. Ended up cutting both of them off. It took all day.

·
Could be
192 Posts
Getting them off is kinda tough, but its really general maintenance stuff. You should really know/learn how to do this, so you can be prepared if something happens unexpectedly. Learn how to fix what you drive, its cheaper and better for you in the long run.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Like said there is no middle ground either it's pretty easy or it's a fuckin nightmare. Mine was similar to country boys used every damn tool I owned still got no where had to resort to the ol heat and beat method

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
what do you guys use to cut them off? I used the heat and beat with the puller tonight and got no where! DOn't want to add to much heat or else your looking into steering box repairs. Can I use a grinder the a chissle to break the remainder?

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
what do you guys use to cut them off? I used the heat and beat with the puller tonight and got no where! DOn't want to add to much heat or else your looking into steering box repairs. Can I use a grinder the a chissle to break the remainder?
yep, just dont get into the the idler or steering box splines. We used a Sawzall.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Its not so bad IF they come off. Its getting them off thats a bitch. I tried a puller, a pickle fork, air fork, air chisel and anything you could think of. Ended up cutting both of them off. It took all day.
When that happens, unbolt pitman arm from sector shaft, and ubolt the whole idler arm assembly. Remove the center link with it. Same thing happend when I installed GMC00Z's lift. I couldnt get the centerlink to break from the pitman and idler arms. I used my head and once the assembly is off I went to the ole trusty 20 ton Hydraulic press and POP they come right out with no damage.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
damn u guys got some sweet tools. I got a $20 puller and cheap $20 torch and hand tools

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
When that happens, unbolt pitman arm from sector shaft, and ubolt the whole idler arm assembly. Remove the center link with it. Same thing happend when I installed GMC00Z's lift. I couldnt get the centerlink to break from the pitman and idler arms. I used my head and once the assembly is off I went to the ole trusty 20 ton Hydraulic press and POP they come right out with no damage.
I got the centerlink off fine, they were stuck on the steering gear box and idler pivot.

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
The GM Idler arm comes with a new Idler pivot. You just unbolt the 2 18mm and it falls out. Their are lots of fancy tools to remove the pitman arm. Its not hard, but steering components can be a bitch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.