GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long could I expect a GM fullsize to last? How many miles should it have when i go to by mine? 60k, a little less? how long until these things start havin major engine problems?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
It all depends on how its taken care of and how the vehicle is driven, so thats not a real easy question to answer. If the maintenance is kept up with, you can can expect (IMO), to get a minimum of 200,000 miles out of the engine (one guy got a million...). The transmission is the weak point, they're easy to neglect and not often maintained well, and city driving is worse for them than highway driving, so they can any where from 50,000 to 200,000 miles before they go out. My engine and transmission have 159,xxx on them, the engine is perfect, burns about 8 oz of oil for every 4000 that i drive, and I expect it to last long enough till i have money to build a new one :flamingde . The transmission on mine I think is ok, it doesn't seem to be going bad, but I expect to have to replace it between 200,000 - 250,000 miles.

If I were you and I were buying a used truck, i'd look for one with 50-80k, and get it completely checked out before I bought it. Smell the transmission fluid, if it smells burnt...walk away, that transmission won't be lasting much longer. If the oil is really dirty, could be a sign that it hasn't been maintained well and be one to avoid.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
the tranny is the crappiest piece. the will go out after 30k of hard use like towing big loads.

average life of the tranny is 80-100k miles. everything else should last

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
On my old 94 I got over 200k w/ only a dead alt and one dead battery before I sold it. My other 94 has got 170k right now and only an alt, battery, and water pump have gone and that was when it has around 100k on it. My dually, with 50k, has had only an intake gasket go out and that's it. I've has exceptional quality in my GM trucks so far. Like mentioned above how it was treated is key in how long it will last. Maintenance and treating your vehicle right will limit any issues long term.

Cameron

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first chevy I got it April 87 new body style with V-6 4.3l I had 300,000 Km on it before I trade it in on a Van in 93.The chevy was the work truck no air no radio auto
I did a little maintence on it.One exhaust , one brake job one tune up and that was it.It still ran great and not rust it did need a new front end.
My next Chevy was a LS ext 4.8l had 150000Km on it and only change the oil.Need new power window on the drive side.
Now have a oe SLE ext Z71 with 6500km got it Dec 13
The truck will last forever with very little work
The truck is my office so I little something nice to drive
I will keep this for about 4 years and see what the new style is like before I change for a new one.It probably be a SLT next time with Quadsteering

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Jeff said:
the tranny is the crappiest piece. the will go out after 30k of hard use like towing big loads.

average life of the tranny is 80-100k miles. everything else should last
Umm I disagree with that. Most people will get far more out of their tranny. I drive very hard, tow a decent amount, and wheel the hell out of my truck and its got 50k on it, tranny is like new. I am about ready to get it flushed for the first time over spring break. Im sure some go out sooner, but I hope to get at least 150k out of it, and im harder on my tranny than anyone else I know.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
My dads 94 (?) has well over 200K on the clock and runs like a champ, not a thing wrong with it that I know of except the seat bracket needs to be replaced.
The truck he had before that had a good 180-200K miles when he got rid of it (only reason, b/c somebody hit him from behind) and it was running strong when it was sold. He actually had to buy another set of keys for that one, b/c the teeth were worn down from use.

IMO its all about maint. Keep the oil changed etc.. Yea, you might get a bad break, but the chances are alot less with proper up-keep.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
hovisimo said:
apparently quite a while, how many do you see on the road?

When I go to NW Iowa in the sumemr and winter, I see soooo many of the 88-94 trucks up there, I walked thru the parking lot at Menards down one row and counted like 4 of the 88-94 trucks and 1 NBS, they keep their vehicles alot longer up there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
208,0000 & countin on my 4.3 vortech 94 Sierra , uses no oil ,been changing the oil every 3000 miles since it was a baby(bought it with 3,500 mi on it) only troubles I've had since I got it are: ac comp , alternator, water pump, egr valve & solenoid.
But I'm considering doin a V8 swap here in the near future "tryin to pep the ole gal up as bit":burnout:

·
Banned
487 Posts
getfile.php?id=101464&toggle=fullsize&filename=TheGhost1.gif

that thing is sneaking up on 500,000 miles... yes, five hundered thousand miles.

2nd engine, 3rd tranny, the front axle had to be rebuild once, rearend and transfer-case are original.. sure you can literally put your foot through the floor if you move the floor mat and beer cans fall through the bottom of the box, but its still chuggin! :rocking:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts