GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could the stock shocks handle a 3/5 drop? and would I need a C notch if using Hotchkis leafs and 1" of shackle? Who makes the best 3" drop spring for the front?

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
The only 3" front drop I know of is acheived using springs. These usually require new shocks while the DJM LCA drops do not (but i put the nitro slammers on my front anyway, i like that they are stiffer). I'm sure you could limp buy for awhile on stock shocks, but I wouldn't think it would be the best ride in the world.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
I agree...if you use stockers please use them temporarily. They aren't designed or valved for that stance. Your ride will suck and not get any better over time. Try to invest in a set of drop shocks as soon as you can....trust us....you will be glad you did. Doestch Techs, Edelbrocks, Bilsteins are all nice options...DT's are great for the $$.

Cameron

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
since i blew out my toxics(they hold the axle up...hehehe) i been running the stock shocks inthe back on my 4/6. its a horrible ride and they bottom out all the time.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
OrangeCrush said:
im riding 5/8 on stock shocks fine.... :read:

thats just sad..... unless u really ARE that broke

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I ran stocks on my 3/5 for a little while and it sucked ass! Get some new ones. I'm running belltechs as of now and I don't like em that much. You have to have button bumpstops for sure. I cut mine stock ones down as far as they'd go and that still didn't work. You'll also need to get shorter bumpstops for the front too. You don't need a notch with a 3/5 but it would ride better for sure. I drove mine for like 6 months without a notch and it bottoms out on hard bumps or dips.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
ive been 2/4 for a long while now. i like the stock shocks. all of the trucks ive driven/ridden in with aftermarket shocks are too stiff for me. i personally like the stock shocks with the drop springs. ive had no issues with them so far.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i ran my 2/4 on stockers for awhile, the ride was less than confortable. Then right before i got bagged, i rolled with 4 blown drop shocks for about 2 months, now thats horrible

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 3"spindles in my truck with stock springs what shocks do you reccomend? I have toxics in there but I am sure they are just as blown as my rear toxics. I put some monroes in back they arent made for lower trucks but I extended the shock mount and the rear is pretty stiff. It actually raised the rear up a bit.

Mike

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Badassilverado said:
lmfao, you still running stockers? I loved the ride for about the first 50 miles on mine, rode like air ..then they basically blew out.
yup, still running stockers. no complaints :head: still not blown out either.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm 2-4 now, and I just switched my edelbrocks for stock ones and it rides much better. Edelbrocks felt like the truck got air and landed on every bump in the road....and around here, thats way too stiff. DT's I had on right after I dropped it were worse, just a cheap junk shock IMO. I sacrificed some handling but now it rides much smoother over all these shitty roads. If you live somewhere nice and smooth it would be no problem running any of the stiffer shocks.

If the stock shocks go out, I'm putting all the stock susp back in.....not going back to riding like ass everywhere. :crazy:

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
O3GMC said:
I'm 2-4 now, and I just switched my edelbrocks for stock ones and it rides much better. Edelbrocks felt like the truck got air and landed on every bump in the road....and around here, thats way too stiff. DT's I had on right after I dropped it were worse, just a cheap junk shock IMO. I sacrificed some handling but now it rides much smoother over all these shitty roads. If you live somewhere nice and smooth it would be no problem running any of the stiffer shocks.

If the stock shocks go out, I'm putting all the stock susp back in.....not going back to riding like ass everywhere. :crazy:
im glad those shocks worked out for ya :head:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sure did man, thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts