GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal, just went to the dealership and they want ~$15,000 for a barebone work truck. 4.3 v6.... blah.

Anyways, would I be better off getting a used truck? Do they offer any warranty? Also, what do you guys think I could get on the used gmc sierra market for 14k? Remember, this truck needs to last me 7 years. no problems

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Alot of used vehicles have had their small amount of problems all new vehicles will have fixed. Other ones can be total trash. It is all in the previous owner and how they took care of the vehicle.

Typically most people buy a new truck or car every three years or so. Some less, some more. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with the vehicle, just that they got tired of it, upgraded, etc.

I'd rather have a used 2001 SLT Sierra extended cab than a brand new "work truck" one any day of the week. They'll be the same price and the only difference is you don't get to start the miles from 5 :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Y2KSierra said:
Alot of used vehicles have had their small amount of problems all new vehicles will have fixed. Other ones can be total trash. It is all in the previous owner and how they took care of the vehicle.

Typically most people buy a new truck or car every three years or so. Some less, some more. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with the vehicle, just that they got tired of it, upgraded, etc.

I'd rather have a used 2001 SLT Sierra extended cab than a brand new "work truck" one any day of the week. They'll be the same price and the only difference is you don't get to start the miles from 5 :D
so you're telling me I can get a 2001 SLT fully loaded extended cab for the same price as a new regular cab v6 work truck? how much miles? If I do go used I need the truck to be low on miles since I need to put a lot of miles on this truck. I need something reliable. Can you get this kind of deal from a dealership or do you have to go through shotty ebay?

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
You aren't going to get a good deal from the dealership, period.

Find someone trying to sell their truck as a last ditch effort before they trade it in. Dealerships don't offer anything on trade in and many people would rather take 500-1000 over the dealer's trade in offer just to spite the dealer.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
If you get it from the dealership, I'm sure they would happily sell you an extended warranty. Like Y2KSierra said, you should be able to get a 2000 or 2001 truck with alot of options for what you would pay for the new work truck ... or do you want the new front end look?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bcubed said:
If you get it from the dealership, I'm sure they would happily sell you an extended warranty. Like Y2KSierra said, you should be able to get a 2000 or 2001 truck with alot of options for what you would pay for the new work truck ... or do you want the new front end look?
I am NOT worried about the look whatsoever. My main worries are reliability and I WANT the 4.8 v8. As it stands now, I think I can only afford the v6 and I just dont think I can live with that.

Also, even if I did buy used, no reason for me to get SLT. SLE at most, I don't need all those options.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
You would be surprised what you can find in some of the local classifieds sometimes. 2000-2002s can usually be found fairly cheap ($15K and under many times) and it seems like these trucks nowadays are built pretty well, well, the motor seems to hold up, trannys if you are not to hard on them, and from what i have seen w/ my dads 2K silverado w/ the 5.3 and almost every option except leather, there has been almost no problems. the truck has like 75K miles on it now, and hes had to replace the battery, and some small thing w/ the drivers side window, and thats about it. had a couple small things done under warrenty, but thats it. the truck has been better than he could have asked for. theres not too much i can think to tell you to check out, but do check out the piston slap on them...ive heard of some people havin PS the whole time the trucks runnin. Ohh yeah, if u want a fun truck, look for a 99 rcsb w/ the 5.3 and 5 speed...only year they offered it.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Y2KSierra said:
You aren't going to get a good deal from the dealership, period.

Find someone trying to sell their truck as a last ditch effort before they trade it in. Dealerships don't offer anything on trade in and many people would rather take 500-1000 over the dealer's trade in offer just to spite the dealer.
this is true, but i know in TX, that you get to deduct the amount of your trade from the amount of tax you pay. i would have sold my red truck like this, but it wouldnt go for what the dealer offered + the tax difference.

your best bet is to look for a truck in the paper that is VERY common. people that are trying to sell the same truck as everyone else usually get less since there are sooo many of them on the market. (just like my 02 ECSB 2wd).

personally, i would get the new truck. even if it has vinyl floors. you can get all the parts to upgrade it to an LS here or on ebay for alot less than you will be charged at the dealer. you will know every mile your truck has traveled, and not get someone elses garbage. my truck was an 02, i babied the shit out of it, but i did some stuff to it when taking my mods off before i traded it. i feel sorry for whoever buys it. this is just an example, but you never know about used vehicles. its the luck of the draw...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I see nothing wrong with getting a used vehicle, from a dealer or other wise. But buy smart, not just the first one you see. I probably checked out 4 or 5 2drs before I got mine, with 124,000 miles on the clock. I saw things on them I didn't like, burnt smelling tranny fluid, dirty oil, missing air cleaner studs etc. Then I found mine, and its been almost perfect. I took it to a reputatable shop before we bought it and had them check it over, sort of like a big inspection, so I knew exactly what I was getting into. I had to do some initial work because the front end ifs was worn out, the tires were worn out. Since then (getting close to 40,000 miles now), all i've had to do as far as replacing things goes is egr valve, starter motor, alternator, a/c, all things I expect to be going bad on a 10 year old truck thats been running through the mud. I fully expect this motor to last at least to 250,000 miles, and the tranny hopefully to 200,000.

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
Josh said:
my truck was an 02, i babied the shit out of it, but i did some stuff to it when taking my mods off before i traded it. i feel sorry for whoever buys it. this is just an example, but you never know about used vehicles. its the luck of the draw...

Exactly, i mean, it will be another 5 years till i buy a brand new vehicle if i ever do, but that peace of mind is a great thing to have :read:

·
Registered
199 Posts
GMCtrk said:
so you're telling me I can get a 2001 SLT fully loaded extended cab for the same price as a new regular cab v6 work truck? how much miles? If I do go used I need the truck to be low on miles since I need to put a lot of miles on this truck. I need something reliable. Can you get this kind of deal from a dealership or do you have to go through shotty ebay?
I bought my 2001 Sierra SLT Z71 between Christmas and New Years. It had 50,000 miles, I paid 18,000. Bid on it on Ebay. Prior to bidding I contacted the seller through Ebay, got a written agreement that my bid was offered pending an inspection of the vehicle by me or my agent. If upon inspection, I chose not to accept the vehicle, the deposit would be refunded in full. When I won the auction, I hired a inspector to go check it out for me. Cost me around 175 bucks, included a road test. Sent me pics of every scratch on it. So far the on problem I have had is I need to replace the brake rotors.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
my friend just got a 04 1500 RCSB work truck with the 5.3 v8 in it 2wd for 17,000$...he gets a GM discount though

·
Dupont 24
1,011 Posts
I know its a fullsize truck you are wanting. But just to back up what the other guys have said. My wife and I got on 02 Envoy SLT in Aug. of 03 with 22,000 miles and payed 1/3 of the cost new. And the only thing we had to replace was the brakes, and now its got 45,000 on the clock. And we plan on keeping it for a long time. I will never buy a new truck/suv ever!!

·
Handshake Drugs
310 Posts
If you really want the 4.8 then cant you get a stick and 4.8 for just about the same price as an auto and 4.3? I somewhat remember a thread about this.

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
I wouldnt be worried about buying used, make sure it runs clean on CarFax, and find one with low miles preferably. Have it inspected by a trusted mechanic, and if all goes well, buy it:head: I'd rather get a 2 year old 4.8 LS than a new 4.3 W/T :imo

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
00Silverado said:
I wouldnt be worried about buying used, make sure it runs clean on CarFax, and find one with low miles preferably. Have it inspected by a trusted mechanic, and if all goes well, buy it:head: I'd rather get a 2 year old 4.8 LS than a new 4.3 W/T :imo
carfax is worthless. i know people that buy totalled vehicles and rebuild them without ever having a salvage title placed on them. these vehicles have clean titles and have been damaged BAD. these vehicles would go undected on carfax.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts