GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Truck Nut
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was and of the first few people who attempted this, but I know introwheels did his mod before I did and he helped me out when i attemped mine.

The question is do you want to know how to get that ugly yellow out the lense?
:(

Of course you do!

What is needed?

1. Two butter knives
2. Home oven
3. Hair dryer
4. Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive. (Waterproof and flexible. Temperature range -80°F to 450°F; resists oil, water, weather, vibration, grease.)

6. X-acto knife
7. Wet cloth towel to keep your fingers clean of silicone.
8. Patience A LOT OF IT!

·
Truck Nut
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Total time: At lest 4 hours for all 4 head lamps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First pre heat your oven to about 175-200F for about 5-10 mins, depending on the actual temperature of the oven. Leave the headlights in there until they are somewhat warm to the touch. Start at one end of the headlight, and use a dull object such as a butter knife to separate the headlights.

Start with your turn signal lamps. One at a time only.

Take out your butter knife and work it around the seam cutting the black OEM silicone. First start with the inside part of the lense. Not the side with the yellow marker. Reason being that the yellow side is the hardest to get open becuse of the curvy joints. This is very important.

Get your hair dryer and heat up the silicone that is harder to get out. Shown heer is the side I want you to work with first.

Once you have gotten most of the silicon loose around most of the lense gently try to pry open the inside lense first. Again, use your hair dryer for the harder parts. *Note dont touch the silver inside or the inside of the clear lense. KEEP YOUR GREASY LITTLE FINGERS AWAY! =)

Use two knifes if it helps. *Note, Dont break of any tabs, they help you secure the headlight in place.

Try to pull it apart gently and it should look like this.

As you can see the yellow lense is still intact. Again, heat up that last spot to remove.

·
Truck Nut
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now pull apart once soft.

here you can see how the yellow marker is put together. One solid pice than can be easily taken out.

Clear!

Remove any loose particals and major silicone that is left on both parts.

Now return both parts to the oven for another 5-10 min to soften up the silicon.

Take out and apply the Prematex Silicon around the Black case. Put a substantial amount! But be very carful to not let it over flow in your new nice shiny clear lense! This part takes the utter most precision.:D Its is absolutly crucial that you re silicone completly! :read:

Now you can close the lense and put something heavy such as books on top so it can secure tightly.

Let it dry al least over night. Dont put them right away in your truck.

After the black silicon is dry you can cut any excess silicone that flowed over with an exacto knife.

·
Truck Nut
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now to the headlights

Put in the oven for 5-10 min.

TAKE OUT YOUR BULBS FIRST!!!!:idiot: I wouldnt let you put them in the oven with out tellin' you right?

Use the same procedure explained. Dont try to work the yellow part. Its more difficult.

Work around it, hold your headlight inplace.

The headlights are harder to take apart well..way harder and that just an understatment. Keep on working and heating with the hair dryer till the silicone lossens up!

Then walla!
Here I have already removed the yellow lense (just pops off like the parking lamps). I also had to remove the Black peice that is found within the clear lense but no biggie.

Then put it back in the oven.
Burn Baby Burn!

Now apply silicone:D COMPLETELY!

Let it sit over night.

Fullcure is actually 24 hrs.

NOW TO THE FINAL PRODUCT!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps, furthermore and I am not responsible or liable for your headlights. :crazy:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Now you post this how to after I already did it. Oh well mine turned out well and most importantly I don't have any condensation building up on the lenses.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Great article Chachi. I messed up on my passengers side parking lamp and i finally got it sealed up a while back. I also broke down and bought the clears, and ive been waiting for the matching parking lamps since november. Anyway this is a great mod and Chachi I love your truck.

·
Steady Skate'in
195 Posts
Yea, thanks for the post, great instructions, has anyone done this on the Denali headlight set up? If so is the procedure the same?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
omg... that whit truck has got to be the ugliest truck ever. what are those? 18s? what a fag!!

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
YB_Average said:
Yea, thanks for the post, great instructions, has anyone done this on the Denali headlight set up? If so is the procedure the same?
Actually they have. But unfortunatlly it's not the same. Not the same by far. If I'm not mistaken you have to cut around the edges of the lens with a dremel or something. All in all it's a bitch to do. IMO There was a how-to on here a while back and I'll see if I can find it. Chris99GMC did it I think and wrote a how-to on it.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
they look so much better "clear" then amber. too bad I dont have the time/patience to do this... not yet anyways.
Id love too though, good article!

·
JC PAINT WORKZ
755 Posts
awsome write up anyone have any ideas for the 99-02 gmc sierra, with the turn signals and headlights? any info would be help... well i really only wannna do the parking turnsignal lights cuase im going to break down and buy denali headlights sooner or later!!

·
2009 Z71 Silverado
49 Posts
I have a 99 Sierra, and it only too me about 1/2 hr to clear mine. (1) Remove headlight assembly by taking out the rods at the top. (2) There are 2 metal clips at each end of the light, remove those. (3) Heat assembly with a blowdryer on high. (4) Carefully lift each of the 4 tabs on top and bottom whie pulling assembly open, starting at one end. It takes a little time it will open. Every so often reapply heat! (5) Once open the marker comes out pretty easy. You dont have to by that expensive GM silicone shit! Use the auto store silicone, works just as well and it's only a couple bucks!!!!

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
get the denali lights. theyre worth it. i tried taking my stockers apart, definitely harder than the silverado looked. ive seen sierras with the orange out, but it doesnt look that great. oh, and the orange on the lowers on sierras is dyed into the lens, you cant take it out. the best ones ive found are the ones i bought. denali projectors w/ halos and clear corner markers and clear lowers. I got them from http://www.mytightride.com for 400 for both sets. a little steep, but worth it if you have the money. here's some day pics. ill put night pics on tonight.

·
Banned
1,574 Posts
I did this to my 01' and they look awesome! I dont know why i didn't think of doing it before. I couldn't get the amber out of the bumper lights though but lucky for me, ebay has like 50 million sellers to choose from so for about $30 in all i cleared everything...

1 - 20 of 387 Posts