GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Team White!
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone wants a cheap alternative to spending money for aftermarket needles, I pulled this off with just stuff laying around the house.
Tools: 7mm socket, Flathead screwdriver, kitchen fork
Supplies: Nail Polish Remover w/ Acetone, Cotten Q-Tips
Time: Aprox 1 Hour
Cost: Should be under $5

Step 1: Let your truck run for about 5-10 minutes and snap a picture of the position needles are in.
100_0089.jpg

Step 2: Pull the dash bezel off, just insert a screwdriver between the bezel and dash and GENTLY turn to pop one of the clips out and just follow around the dash for the rest.
100_0091.jpg

Step 3: Take a 7mm socket and remove the 4 bolts holding the housing in and disconnect the wiring harness on the top of the housing. Remove the gauge cluster assembly
100_0092.jpg

Step 4: Now that the gauge assembly is removed, take a screwdriver and pop the clips to release the gauge cluster cover
100_0093.jpg

100_0094.jpg

Step 5: Once the cover is removed, take a kitchen fork and slide it between the needle and the gauge face (be careful not to scratch the surface) and GENTLY pry up. You dont need alot of pressure to do this. The needles pop off very easily.
100_0095.jpg

100_0096.jpg

100_0097.jpg

Step 6: Now if you girlfriend/wife lives with you, search her cabinets for these two things. Make sure the nail polish has acetone in it. (Key for removing the paint) When you are done make sure you put them back!!
100_0098.jpg

Step 7: What I did was dab the tip of the q-tip into the polish remover and apply it over the back of the needle. You dont need alot of pressure, the paint comes off fairly easily. Of course, the RPM and Spedometer take a little more time, but just take your time and clean the needles when you are done.
100_0099.jpg

Here is a finished clear needle next to an untouched orange needle
100_0100.jpg

All of the needles are now cleared...
100_0101.jpg

So many Q-tips died in the project!! :rofl2:
100_0102.jpg

Step 8: Huge Difference afterwards!! This would be a great time to clean the dust out of the plastic cover!! Now just loosly set the needles on the cluster and gather everything and head back to the truck
100_0103.jpg

Step 9: Plug the wiring harness back into the cluster and set the cluster back in. Do not screw in the bolts at this time. Let the truck run for the same time period as when you first started. Once this time is up, refer back to a photo from step 1 and line the needles back up, then snap them into place. You may have to pull them back off if they sag down once you snap them in.
100_0104.jpg

Step 10: Position the gauge cover back over the cluster and snap the tabs back together. Then snug up the 4 7mm bolts.
100_0105.jpg

Step 11: Reinstall your dash bezel and make sure everything functions properly and Enjoy Your New "Custom" Needles!!
100_0107.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
thanks for the great "how -to".....you just saved me 70 bucks. I was gonna try this and maybe hit the top of the needle with a blue sharpie and see how that works.

·
Team White!
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm taking my camara with me today, so I'll get some night shots on the way home from work.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
um out of curiousity any body know what to do if you have all your needles fucked up and they dont work anymore? where could i get that fixed..lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
have you tried to move them around to different spots and see if you get anything. I don't have a clue of how you can fix them.....maybe the stealership?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Nice simple writeup mike.

Also for an added tip: to make light showup more during the night, get some 400-600 grit sandpaper and give the bottom side a good even scrubbin with the sand paper to give it a "frost" look and show up a little easier.

Dave

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
i did this to my 98 a year ago, i love it especially with my LED bulbs that I put in.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Im considering doing that with mine too. My overlay has an orange glow though around the needles, compliments the orange needles really well so Im leaving it as is for now. Nice write up, I was always concerned with "melting" the plastic or hazing it.

·
I Bleed Silver & Blue
2,111 Posts
I may have to make this a project once I see some night time pictures

·
Team White!
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are two pics, the first is snapped with the flash on for the camera, the second is without flash. Its the best I could do with my camara. The needles have a slight yellowish orange tint to them due mostly to the stock dash bulbs in. Hopefully will look better as soon as my blue LEDs arrive.

100_0109.jpg

100_0110.jpg

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
how much did the LED's cost? where'd you buy them from

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
led's should be around $25 TOPS.

superbrightleds.com get the W-LED4 194 bulbs.

Dave

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
superbrightleds.com

·
Registered
233 Posts
thanks for the pictures fellas.....

Hey Dave.....are the 98 year model gauge bulbs just a direct swap or do you have to do anything special to them?

I have NuImage platinum gauges with the factory bulbs behind them. The gauges light up blue with the factory bulbs. I was thinking of getting white leds and putting them behind the gauges and clear the needles.

not the best pic but you get the idea(I think one bulb is blown)

Are you still able to dim your gauges or are they set at one brightness? How mand leds do I need for the gauges on the 98?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts