GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an HID kit and the ballast keeps shorting out when the auto headlight kick on while Im turning my truck on.
I know there is a way to install a 1.5k ohm resistor on the ligth sensor or under the dash at the bcm?

When I turn the key the lights will come on for a sec and go off while its turning over and then would normally come on once its running. The ballast automatically will not work if there isn't a consant power source and when it gets a second of power while turning the truck on it make the ballast short and I have to disconnect the ballast and reconnect each time for it to work.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can this be unpluged with out taking the dash apart. Will the dome pop out of the dash?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Below is a procedure I wrote up when I had a '02 truck that I wanted to have control over the headlights and disabled the auto feature.

FOR '99-'02 TRUCKS ONLY w/o AUTO CLIMATE CONTROLS <---- this is BS. It worked on every one I've ever done.

Basically you will need a pair of wire cutters and a 1.5K ohm 1/2 watt resistor that you can get at Radio Shack. Electrical tape and possibly some wire nuts will work to wire in the resistor. You can solder the wires if you wish.

You may want to remove the neg. battery cable to assure you don't do any unwanted damage to the electrical system. This is not necessary, but a good precaution to take.

First locate the Body Control Module (BCM) which is under the dash, below the steering column. Laying on the floor, this should be visible without removing any dash panels. You should find a purple connector (C3). Unplug it.

Locate the white and gray wires (A4 and A6). I don't remember if white is A4 and gray is A6 or vice versa. It doesn't matter anyway.

Clip these two wires that are coming off this plug (C3). Leave a few inches to work with. Tape up or place wire nuts over the other end of these wires that go up under the dash(they go to the light sensor). You have now removed the light sensor from the electrical system and is now just a dash ornament.

Connect the gray wire from the plug (C3) to one end of the resistor and the white wire to the other end. Make sure you tape up all wires to prevent a short. You should now have a gray wire coming from C3, going to one lead of the resistor and the white wire from C3 to the other resistor lead. Plug in C3 to the BCM and replace the neg. battery cable if you removed it. Start the truck and make sure the lights are off. Throw a dark towel or something over the light sensor on the dash and verify the lights stay off. Try your light switch that has probably never been used and that's it!

Reactions: bub

·
Registered
694 Posts
or you could just push the parking brake, turn on the truck, then release the parking brake then the lights only turn on once(its a pain in the ass but it keeps the ballast from igniting too much)

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
I spliced in the resistor to the BCM and wired in a switch so that I could turn them on and off.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The parking brake doesn't work for my truck, I think that was for pre 03 trucks. I will prbably do the resitor/BCM mod but I thougth the sensor on the dash aslo works with the aout climate control which I have. I wish I could program the auto headlights to only work when the truck is in gear like the DRLs. My hid ballast keeps shorting out when it gets the short second of power while turning the key, when it is first turned the ligths come on for a sec and then go out while the engine cranks over then the light go on again. The stupid light sensor is way to sensitive.

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
splicin in a resistor seems to be what most are doing for the auto-disable

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
The parking brake trick works on my 04. But it sounds to me like something else is wrong. Cause I can't imagin that happening on the cars these come on. And there lighst probably do the same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts