GMC Truck Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Good thread. I just finished reading through all 6 pages. So.. I picked up a set of power folding mirrors from another member. The mirrors are now sanded and painted to match.

Can someone please help me out on how to go about wiring the mirrors up so they could work. The plugs are obvisously different. What's needed to make it work new door switches and harness? What needs to be done to get these wired up? Thanks one and all.

·
Whatcha wanna do???
1,951 Posts
Good thread. I just finished reading through all 6 pages. So.. I picked up a set of power folding mirrors from another member. The mirrors are now sanded and painted to match.

Can someone please help me out on how to go about wiring the mirrors up so they could work. The plugs are obvisously different. What's needed to make it work new door switches and harness? What needs to be done to get these wired up? Thanks one and all.
Check out this thread. I've been studying it because I am about to wire up a set of DL3 Power fold mirrors on my 2001.
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95231

·
Registered
925 Posts
Great thread! I disassembled mine last night and started sanding. Should have them ready for paint soon.

A+ for this write up!

·
Registered
449 Posts
i was wondering if this was the same thing to follow for taking apart non power mirrors? does anyone know whats different and how to get apart just the regulars? even easier or same relatively?

·
Registered
181 Posts
instead of cutting the spring, I ended up heating the spring on the stove for about 10min. then dropped the spring in place and used a pipe to push it down to lock

Posted from Gmfullsize.com App for Android

·
Registered
181 Posts
but before all that I pushed the teeth downwards on the retainer to lock better then did the heating

Posted from Gmfullsize.com App for Android

·
Bumble Bee
97 Posts
First, take the mirrors off the truck. Pop off the sail panel and loosen the 3 nuts holding it on, then unplug the wires and release the white clip.
00.jpg

The mirror cap is held on with double sided tape and 4 clips where the arrows point to. Gently pry it off and the clips shouldn't break.
08.jpg

Taking the mirror out without breaking it is the hardest part. One of mine was hard and the other was easy. This is the back of the mirror. You have to work you way around and pry up all the little clips. A small awl set and good lighting works great for this.
09.jpg

This is the mirror without glass. Loosen the 4 Torx (T15) screws shown, and remove the foam pad and white clip.
01.jpg

02.jpg

Turn the mirror backwards as far as it will go. You'll be able to get a pick in there to unclip this part.
03.jpg

Now the plastic comes off the mirror.
04.jpg

Pull the wires out of the hole. This retainer and spring is what is holding the two pieces together. In the picture it is already loose and not compressing the spring. You have to pry the little teeth up until it comes off the shaft. Be careful here because it can shoot off the post and stab you in the face.
05.jpg

With the retainer and spring off, you can seperate the two pieces.
06.jpg

07.jpg

Now sand all the texture out and get them painted.
10.jpg

Re-assemble in the reverse order. One thing to know is it hard as hell to compress the spring and get the retainer back on, but I'm sure it's possible with the right tools. So instead, I cut the spring down a little and it was a piece of cake to put them back together.

Also, I bought and extra set of mirrors from a Tahoe/Suburban (without glass) on ebay really cheap (about $50 shipped total). I used the plastic from them to paint so I didn't have to go driving around without mirrors, and those mirrors come with the puddle lamps, which is a cool little mod. Here's how mine came out.
11.jpg
Thanks for the info, very informative

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
i gatta say, him post bumping this actually let me find this. this may help later down the road if i ever need it. should be stickied imo.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts