GMC Truck Forum banner

How to disassemble NBS power mirrors

117K views 71 replies 42 participants last post by  bobfig 
#1 ·
First, take the mirrors off the truck. Pop off the sail panel and loosen the 3 nuts holding it on, then unplug the wires and release the white clip.

The mirror cap is held on with double sided tape and 4 clips where the arrows point to. Gently pry it off and the clips shouldn't break.

Taking the mirror out without breaking it is the hardest part. One of mine was hard and the other was easy. This is the back of the mirror. You have to work you way around and pry up all the little clips. A small awl set and good lighting works great for this.

This is the mirror without glass. Loosen the 4 Torx (T15) screws shown, and remove the foam pad and white clip.

Turn the mirror backwards as far as it will go. You'll be able to get a pick in there to unclip this part.

Now the plastic comes off the mirror.

Pull the wires out of the hole. This retainer and spring is what is holding the two pieces together. In the picture it is already loose and not compressing the spring. You have to pry the little teeth up until it comes off the shaft. Be careful here because it can shoot off the post and stab you in the face.

With the retainer and spring off, you can seperate the two pieces.

Now sand all the texture out and get them painted.

Re-assemble in the reverse order. One thing to know is it hard as hell to compress the spring and get the retainer back on, but I'm sure it's possible with the right tools. So instead, I cut the spring down a little and it was a piece of cake to put them back together.

Also, I bought and extra set of mirrors from a Tahoe/Suburban (without glass) on ebay really cheap (about $50 shipped total). I used the plastic from them to paint so I didn't have to go driving around without mirrors, and those mirrors come with the puddle lamps, which is a cool little mod. Here's how mine came out.

See less See more
#2 ·
I know this thread is old as hell, but thanks for the info dougy.

#4 ·
how much of the spring did you cut down? I just got my mirrors back today and you are right, that spring is a BITCH!! I dont want to cut too much off of it and have the mirrors loose...
any info would be appreciated!

#6 ·
thanks buddy... gonna work on that this morning!

How did you get the cap over the coil again? Use anything special?

#8 ·
ok, got it 100% re-assembled... now off to the truck to install!

Thanks for the tech article, it was to a "T!"

#10 ·
I am willing to send my mirrors off to someone to paint them for me if anyone is interested. Shoot me a price as to what you might charge for this? I am afraid I will fuck something up as I always do when I do something like this.

#14 ·
I just took my 03+ apart and as slammedchevy01 said the plug on the wires doesn't fit throught the hole in the shaft part but there are screws that hold that whole rotating assembly down. If you take those screws out you don't need to mess with the retaining clip or spring the whole unit lifts right off

#15 ·
I just took my 03+ apart and as slammedchevy01 said the plug on the wires doesn't fit throught the hole in the shaft part but there are screws that hold that whole rotating assembly down. If you take those screws out you don't need to mess with the retaining clip or spring the whole unit lifts right off
can ya get a pic of what ur talkin about pleaaaase? I started my passenger mirror but I think the spring is rusted and wont move.....that would be a big help asap! Thx :head3: :think:

#16 ·
I'd get you pics,but I won't be going back home until the weekend. The best I can describe is that the 03+ mirrors are different. The metal frame and the rotating assembly are 2 peiece. In the pic where I put the red dots there are 2 or 3 bigger torx screws they are long. If you take those out then prly up on the plastic attached to the fram and that will come off.you will be left with that spring in the middle. Now where I put yellow dots there is 3 T15 torx screws you will have to turn the mirror as if you are folding it to reach all 3 screws. Once you take those out the whole spring assembly will lift off and the wire will come out too. Sorry for all the writing but thats the best I can explain it without actually looking at it. If you can't get it post up some pics and i'll point out the screws.:bowtie:

#18 ·
I've never managed to find just the glass/backing unit.

eBay is probably the cheapest place to get a whole unit with the housing. I've gotten my last few there. It looks like you can get it for $50 shipped. I could swear I remember buying them cheaper than that before. Anyway, a search like this works well:
http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...00,+2001,+2002)+-"s-series"+-sonoma+-colorado

If the link doesn't work, it's a search on these terms:
mirror heated (gm, chevy, chevrolet, gmc) (pickup, truck, sierra, silverado, suburban, tahoe, yukon, denali) (99, 00, 01, 02, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002) -"s-series" -sonoma -colorado

#23 ·
My 2007 classic i have all but the spring assembly pin out, it is different from the pic above. anyone seen this I have pic if needed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.