GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys hows it going? im new to this site but I have some questions. I have a 2007 silverado 1500 5.3 and I currently have strait exhaust but I want to dump them cause I think it looks cleaner nothing to see. what would I have to get to dump them? thanks help would be appreicated

·
deel'n wif it
581 Posts
just need to cut off the pipe underneath the truck , can put a curved section of pipe to direct the exhaust down if you want

·
Proud GMT800 Owner
9 Posts
does anyone know what the laws about exhaust are in PA? i have had mulitlple people tell me that the tip of the exhaust has to be sticking out from under the vehicle and others tell me that it dosent matter

·
Internet Tough Guy
1,014 Posts
does anyone know what the laws about exhaust are in PA? i have had mulitlple people tell me that the tip of the exhaust has to be sticking out from under the vehicle and others tell me that it dosent matter
Good question... I live in PA too and was going to dump mine and ditch the 2 pipes the original exhaust install had.

I've got a flowmaster w/ dual 3" outs and they ran a pipe to each side straight out the back with chrome tips.

I was going to just cut that out about 2-4" out of the muffler's outlets and leave it then remove the chrome tips and piping left...

hope someone knows about your question before I cut away!!

·
Proud GMT800 Owner
9 Posts
i have the same exhaust.. its rusting pretty bad and im not sure how much longer it will last.. i want to chop it off right at the muffler.. only if its legal though

·
Internet Tough Guy
1,014 Posts
i have the same exhaust.. its rusting pretty bad and im not sure how much longer it will last.. i want to chop it off right at the muffler.. only if its legal though
I just asked a buddy who lives near me. He's been in PA for about 10 years now and has had a few modified vehicles.

he said it won't pass inspection, so yea... you have to have a pipe visible.

He just picked up an older Mustang for screwing around with and after 1 year of regular registration and the state inspection... if it stays under like 5000 miles for the year it will qualify for as exempt for emissions testing. Once this year is up, he plans on dumping the exhaust on it and getting a H pipe in also.

Issue, I just checked the state's DMV page and in their state emissions info they say nothing about pipe check except for the cat.

How is a Visual Anti-Tampering Check performed?
A certified technician will look for the presence of the following emission control devices:

Catalytic converter
Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve
Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve
Fuel inlet restrictor
Air pump
Evaporative control system components such as vapor canisters and lines.

The certified technician will also determine if these devices are properly connected and if they are the correct type for the vehicle being inspected.

·
Proud GMT800 Owner
9 Posts
hmmm... keep me updated if you find anymore info. im gonna ask some people i know and see what they say... i know the 5000 mile thing is true, know someone who uses that.

·
Internet Tough Guy
1,014 Posts
I might just check with an inspection station or muffler shop.

My friend said it can be dumped... but has to be in front of the back axle... there has to be some pipe to get the fumes out from under the passenger area on the vehicle.

When he moved out here he had a Chevy with flowmasters dumped.... but wouldn't pass... until he added some pipe to them to bring it out from under the cab area.

·
Rest in Pieces
2,362 Posts
From what I understand in TX, straights are illegal, and having an exhaust dumped under the cab is as well. Also I believe you have to have 3-4 inches of tailpipe. However, you can dump the exhaust under the bed, before or after the back axle. However, last time I went to get inspected they never checked my truck for exhaust and I was running a FM40 knockoff under the cab with no tailpipe after the muffler. The didn't check for my insurance card either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts