GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
GMFS Military Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I run 33 inch tires, nothing huge, but I do go through some trails occasionally. I've replaced my pitman arm probably 3 times in the past year and a half. Its getting annoying.
The pitman arm itself gets loose on the center link. I can see the pitman arm bolt move when someone moves the steering wheel back and forth. WHen I put it on, the castle nut is as tight as can be, but eventually this happens. I don't know how this happens but it does.

What can I do to keep this from happening?

Will a steering stabilizer aid in keeping it from getting loose?

·
4,725 Posts
Keep it greased if there is a zerk.

No.

·
GMFS Military Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I grease it with every oil change.

·
4,725 Posts
Pitman stud shouldnt be moving in the centerlink....

·
GMFS Military Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realize this. I dont know why it comes loose over time, but it does.

·
METTALIKATT
4,922 Posts
Get a new one,

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
Not sure if they make them for your application, but they make idler/pitman arm braces for the 3/4 and 1 tons

Sent from the drivers seat of an 06 dmax

·
Registered
6,401 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Pitman arm delete kit. I'll sell you one for $100

·
GMFS Military Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This one is not worn at the splines. Its at the center-link itself.

2500Hd; might look into the Cognito kit. Is there a cheaper one?

Going to try the AC/Delco first; ;last one was from Advance Auto.

Wisconsin max. pm me your checking account and routing number and i'll send you the money. :)

·
TTG shawty
3,101 Posts
sometimes you can find them on ebay pretty cheap. When I still had my HD I was going to do the pitman support and idler support with the Super Steer idler support replacement. They do also make hiem joint style idler/pitman arms for your truck

·
Registered
330 Posts
cognito pitman/idler support is the best bang for the buck. I was running still the origninal pitman and idler arm when I put my cognito lift on it. I have been running my lift for around a year or so and just decided I needed to chang my idler and pitman arm and I took them off and not a single bit of slope in them.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
sometimes you can find them on ebay pretty cheap. When I still had my HD I was going to do the pitman support and idler support with the Super Steer idler support replacement. They do also make hiem joint style idler/pitman arms for your truck
never seen the hiem joint pitman and idler arms for these trucks, link?

:hmmm2:

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Do what billy at showoff did for me. I run 38s and still havent had any issue or any signs of an issue anymore

Mine used to come loose all the time and I would tighten it over and over like every week. Eventually I came around a corner and lost all steering to the right because the bracket had broken off.

Billy had the bracket welded back on and two rods welded on each side of the bracket to part of the frame. This kept all that extra stress from transferring to the bracket arms.
It hasnt come loose since then and its been 3 years ago

PM me your number and I can text a pic of what Im talking about

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would say the taper in the centerlink for your pittman arm bolt is worn out. tightin it all you want it will still come loose. that botl should never wiggle. if it does, it'll wear the tapered bore right out. replace both.

I would also agree better joints have better steel. they will last longer and take more stress. you can always drill and insert grease zirks in "lifetime" joints and make them really lifetime. grease and oil is steels best friend!

·
GMFS Military Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TKat, good first post.

I was thinking the center link is worn, but really have no way to check it, and replacing it would be a bitch and kind of costly.

It does tighten up at first, but over time and offroading it just gets loose right there.

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
TKat, good first post.

I was thinking the center link is worn, but really have no way to check it, and replacing it would be a bitch and kind of costly.

It does tighten up at first, but over time and offroading it just gets loose right there.
Ill send you pic tomorrow its dark out now, but I would get this duplicated asap before your bracket breaks off and you are stranded somewhere.
Just keep tightening everyday and you should be fine.
When it loosens up it allows a slight bit of play and everytime you turn it moves back and forth pushing on the inner walls of that bracket.
Maybe tomorrow maybe a year from now but it will break

ANY shop with metal rod and a welder can do this, takes no special skill or automotive know how

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
The stud on the pitman arm is designed to spin. It's basically in the pitman arm via a bushing. As you turn you tires, especially ones with a bigger scrub radius and contact patch, you wear the bushing as there is a bending moment on the stud.

The only way to slow the wear appreciably is to eliminate the bending moment by putting the stud in double shear.

Get the Cognito brackets or ones like it.

Of course this just moves the wear point to the sector shaft bearing and seal. Good thing the pitman arm stud isn't far out of plane.

·
GMFS Military Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I put a washer in between the castle nut and the centerlink on the pitman stud tonight. Once again it took the play out.

THis pitman arm is a PITA with the dropped differential.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts