GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
GMC Owner
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i found this thread on another site, and i found it interesting on how some people fixed their slip yoke clunk...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=466157&highlight=racquetball

Give it a read, is this a legit fix? I dont know what to think of it.

*EDIT*

For those of you having trouble opening the page, here is the first post.

"this came STRAIGHT from a gm tech.....

to fix the clunk in the drivetrain from a dead stop(chirp, clunk, bump...etc...) pull the driveshaft and stuff a raquetball in the yoke and reinstall driveshaft.....

it fixed my bro inlaws on his 01.....been that way for 30000miles..... "

apparently a well placed raquetball can fix the clunk....im quite tempted to try this....but im apprehensive.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,649 Posts
Is it just me or is that site taking forever to load?
no, its taking forever to load

I've heard that some people can get away with sticking a bouncy ball in the slipshaft, and some people literally can't, seems to be hit and miss

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
:hmm: interesting. My 04 doesnt clunk but my old truck was annoying as fuck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
might have to try this. grease only seems to last a week or 2 for me before it's clunking again.

When I saw the title I was about to say I had a better suggestion for stopping the clunk, just don't ever come to a stop while you're driving! but this sounds like it might work!

edit: I just hope there wont be little pieces of chewed up bouncy ball floating around in the tcase after. maybe I'll let someone else try first.

Aren't raquetballs like 1.5" diam? I could see a bouncy ball fitting but not a raquetball.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i used abouncy ball

·
Registered
102 Posts
bouncy balls work great they are smaller racquet ball is WAY too big.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
fo sho? mine is terrible.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
mine is still gone. stopped after i dropped it. lifted back up, still no clunk. it did it when i got it, greased it, it stopped for a few months, then came back...dropped it, no clunk since.

M

·
0 Posts
Interesting. As long as it doesn't put the shaft under much compression it should be good. You just don't wanna put much extra pressure on the ujoints or pinion bearings.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
did gm ever issue a fix for this?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Interesting. As long as it doesn't put the shaft under much compression it should be good. You just don't wanna put much extra pressure on the ujoints or pinion bearings.
i wouldn't be too worried about it. it is a 5000 lb truck...a few lbs of force can't be too harmful i wouldn't think.

·
Maroon,Black,Chrome
3,348 Posts
they apparently released a harder slip yoke that was plated or something a few years ago, but it was like $200+ i want to fix mine and the slag in the driveshaft.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
i'm about to buy that slip yoke imo.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
they apparently released a harder slip yoke that was plated or something a few years ago, but it was like $200+ i want to fix mine and the slag in the driveshaft.
Yes the nickel plated slip yoke would be the fix from GM

·
GMC Owner
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ive heard even with the nickel plated slip yoke, that people still have problems with the clinking.......imho, im gonna grease up my current yoke really good tomorrow. then if that doesnt work, ill get the nickel plated slip yoke, then finally ill try this crazy ball idea......

im just curious to see if the ball idea works. cmon now who has the "balls" to do it??

1 - 20 of 188 Posts