GMC Truck Forum banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Shit Disturber
1,964 Posts
I don't know about the kit that you speak of, but OEM remote start that comes on the NNBS trucks is awful. You cannot control the heat or a/c, making it come on high, or a certain position. Example: There's 2' of snow on your truck. An aftermarket remote start will allow you to set the defrost on high or close to it, then when the truck is started by remote start, the defrost is on, windshield is warmed, snow goes away fast. With OEM, you don't get that, and the truck is still cold because the heat is blowing out the vents and the fan is on low. Same with summertime, it barely turns the a/c on. They definitely didn't have the drivers comfort in mind when they designed this. Other aggravations that OEM doesn't take care of:

If CEL is on, remote start won't work
It only has a 10 minute runtime
You can do "valet take over", or "short stop", or "idle down mode" with OEM
(those modes allow you to place the truck in remote start mode, remove key, exit truck, and lock doors, all while it stays running. That feature is very handy, not only for security purposes, but for comfort as well.
I like to keep things OEM on my truck. I like the OEM look and the fact that it is now covered under warranty. Not only are aftermarket kits not covered, but incorrect installation can further void the warranty.

I don't have snow in my area, but I have never had a problem with the distance of the remote start, or the remote start not reaching the truck from inside a structure. Last week I started the truck from 500+ feet away, and I routinely start the truck when I'm inside a two story steel frame and cinder block structure, which allows no cell service into the building.

I'm certain the truck senses the outside temperature and takes action to create a comfortable climate inside the vehicle. I had an '07 Esky previous to this truck, and I think it heated the steering wheel and seats when it was cold too. If equally equipped , the trucks should do the same, as well as HVAC countermeasures.

I wasn't aware of the other shortfalls you mentioned and I can do without them. Though I do know what it's like to have something, then know what you're missing.

My CEL is on now and my truck won't remote start. This pisses me off.

I'm just defending my decision to go with OEM here and to clear up some confusion. I don't dispute the fact that aftermarket units that have these features are superior, but personally I worry about long term durability.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
I like to keep things OEM on my truck. I like the OEM look and the fact that it is now covered under warranty. Not only are aftermarket kits not covered, but incorrect installation can further void the warranty.
Aftermarket remote start doesn't void any warranty, and is easily removeable is your dealer is too imcompentent to fix a problem that's not created by the remote start, even though they like to blame anything aftermarket. If you prefer aftermarket equipment, and sub-par quality, go for it.

I don't have snow in my area, but I have never had a problem with the distance of the remote start, or the remote start not reaching the truck from inside a structure. Last week I started the truck from 500+ feet away, and I routinely start the truck when I'm inside a two story steel frame and cinder block structure, which allows no cell service into the building.
I have an 08 GMC Sierra, and an 09 Denali in my family. I know how well the OEM remote start works, and it's not worth a shit. When I leave a building I work at, I can clearly see the truck, it's probably 50 yards out, and remote start won't work if other cars are parked around it.

I'm certain the truck senses the outside temperature and takes action to create a comfortable climate inside the vehicle. I had an '07 Esky previous to this truck, and I think it heated the steering wheel and seats when it was cold too. If equally equipped , the trucks should do the same, as well as HVAC countermeasures.
It does sense temp, and does take action, but not much. Seat heaters aren't hot after mine has ran for a few minutes, or at least until I park my ass in them (aftermarket remote start does activate them too), again, defrost isn't activated and fan is on low, always.

I wasn't aware of the other shortfalls you mentioned and I can do without them. Though I do know what it's like to have something, then know what you're missing.
You don't gain the true value of those until you use them. I use mine all the time and when I give a customer their remote and explain the short stop function, they smile and say "that'll work good".

My CEL is on now and my truck won't remote start. This pisses me off.

I'm just defending my decision to go with OEM here and to clear up some confusion. I don't dispute the fact that aftermarket units that have these features are superior, but personally I worry about long term durability.
I've got a Clifford 1 mile LCD remote start on my work car. I had it on the current car, the last 2 trucks I've had, and a CTS-V. It's 5 years old. That's long-term durability. In the end, you're OEM remote is nothing more than the one I've got, so there's nothing to make it last longer than mine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Need help ASAP!! Installing an AutoPage alarm on my truck. The ignition wire needed for the DBALL2 kit is supposed to read 0volts in every position except crank. For some reason it is reading around 5volts. So it's not giving the correct voltage to the interface to allow it to detect voltage change to crank the truck. Geek Squad at Best Buy is installing it and they've tried everything. The system worked fine with an FL-CAN module because it doesn't need that one wire. Problem is I ordered the DBALL2 and don't want to piss off $100 on it. Can anyone please explain why the yellow ignition wire is reading 5volts when not in crank position? Or what to do to fix the problem!

PS. It's a 2001 Silverado 1500 with an AutoPage C3-RS730.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Which battery are you saying is dead? Truck battery? Even if his volt meter was jacked up, the module should still program if it had the correct voltage of 0. Wouldn't it? I was with them when they were trying to install it. I'm no idiot when it comes working on trucks or installing radios, etc. But I am new to alarm install so I have no idea how to help. The FL-CAN module programmed like a champ because it doesn't use the yellow wire.

141 - 149 of 149 Posts