GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had been trying to figure out a way to led my headlight switch and was trying to figure out how to solder up the leds and stuff but that was gonna be a pain. so i had a 194 led laying around like this
5smdled_zps5f9a90d2.jpg

so i figured it should work without really any mods since there able to run off 12volts already, all you have to do is pull the led out or the holderd, then i decided to cut down the normal bulb stick to make room for the bulb and once you put slide the stick in you can feed the wires in it and bend them so they can make contact on the switch, here's what it should look like in the switch once put in
DSCN1542_zps88c3675b.jpg

DSCN1532_zps17273c78.jpg

hope this works for anyone wanting to do this and ill post up a pic of what it looks like installed, the best thing about this LED is with its widespread output there arent any deadspots but it doesnt light up the part about the knob, and it might not completely light up the dome overide part either but i cant remember right now, the pic will show it and hope this helps and simplifies the part of putting leds in the headlight switch

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here's the output pics
hdledswitch_zps3878de6c.jpg

hdledswitch2_zps604b63c3.jpg

these also show i used a white led in the headlight switch and also pure whites in the cargo/fog switch but as usual the blue film doesnt make them match so for a closer match id try a blue 194, and as usual with all leds if it dont work one way turn it around and try again, also you can see how far i cut down the shaft where the bulb sits and on mine it takes a little bit of pressure(in the sense it could be shortened to better fit inside) but nothing major and still will work

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh and one other comment i just saw in the pic thats nice with this way over the others is that it lights up the knob as well, and sorry for being chatty but i just wanna be thorough, i also did leave the light diffuser in the switch which it looks like will help but idk about without it i didnt try, maybe someone else can try without

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well here's the three main parts
DSCN1547_zps83a355f9.jpg

the back one(the one on the left you just pry out with a screwdriver), then the second one you just pull straight out of the third part(the one on the left). and one tip unless you want some little pieces to deal with id take the 2nd part out by pulling it straight up from the third while leaving it face down and just leave it like that, it should be pretty self explanatory putting back together, just put the 2nd part back in and just snap the 3rd back on the back and see if it works, it should and hope this helps you some

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and if you see in the pic there is a little brass disk right there below the light on the middle piece, thats what moves and locks the dome override button so make sure you keep up with it and put it back in, forgot that it might come out with that middle piece

·
Registered
95 Posts
Would have never even thought of that. I got so frustrated doing my headlight switch with soldering I stopped and it has no lights haha

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I didn't wanna do the soldering and was like, hey this will fit and it's 12 volts so it should work haha, and it did

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
cant believe a 194 bulb fits there with some cutting... did you superglue/hot glue the bulb into place or does it squeeze in there just fine?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well if you go back up and look at the pic it will show what I did, basically cut the shaft that holds the normal bulb down to bout half length then just ran leads off led in same spot as ones for normal bulb went then it twists right into place(and as usual if it don't work one way flip it 180), but due to the size of the bulb you gotta stick the stalk in the housing first then put the bulb in and feed the wires but if you maybe got a extra set of hands would make it easier, but no cutting or gluing, but I think I said before I did remove the factory diffuser, but where it's a 5sided led it gets good light spread

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
Will look into the blue leds for this thanks man.. I put white behind a/c and cluster and that blue tint on the a/c messed it all up..

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah that's what happened with my a/c and my fog light switch to, but I personally still prefer the white like this when it does work, like iv got pure white in my cluster and there not blue at all, so the two shades is kinda annoying but to much blue just isn't for me I guess, hope it works for you and post pic up when you get your done and like one of the inside with the light too

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
Do you know if there's blue film over the door switches as well? One of these days im going to do the doors and the headlight switch.. dnw blue on blue film, might be too blue

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah the door switches I think have it but I've not tried only seen pics, easiest way to tell is just take one off and shine a white like led flashlight behind it to see if it does have the blue tint

1 - 14 of 14 Posts