GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my rear suspension right now is djm 2" drop hangers and belltech 3" drop shackles for a suposed 5" drop

it still sits about an inch higher in the back compared to the 3" drop up front. the problem wasnt as big until i lost the rear tailgate and spare. the stepside bed dosent help it sit down either. ive heard about removing a spring. how does that affect the ride of the truck? any other options?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
How did you get 3" from a shackle? Belltech only makes 1-2" like every other drop company.

You could get 2" leafs and then put the shackle to 1" to get the 5" of total drop but you'll need to notch if you haven't as well.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
my rear suspension right now is djm 2" drop hangers and belltech 3" drop shackles for a suposed 5" drop

it still sits about an inch higher in the back compared to the 3" drop up front. the problem wasnt as big until i lost the rear tailgate and spare. the stepside bed dosent help it sit down either. ive heard about removing a spring. how does that affect the ride of the truck? any other options?
removing the spring will drop it approximately another 1" in the back. removing the spring will reduce your towing capacity and give the truck more "bounce." out of curiousity, are you running a notch? if not, get one:read:

·
Minitrucker
710 Posts
I have yet to lower my truck and have a question, I have an 05 long bed reg cab, I don't wanna go too drastic, what is the lowest you can go with out a needed notch? 4" in the rear? also if I put a roll pan on my truck will i have to relocate the spare tire?

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
i wouldnt go any lower than 4" in the back without getting a notch. at 4", i still managed to bottom out on harsh bumps...as far as a rollpan, i think they make a spare tire relocator kit for it

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
removing the spring will drop it approximately another 1" in the back. removing the spring will reduce your towing capacity and give the truck more "bounce." out of curiousity, are you running a notch? if not, get one:read:
The overload is only .75" thick and the rest of the leafs are less than a half inch thick but you're right about the bounce and you'll also get more axle wrap.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Clamp the overload leaf down to the rest of the pack at the front end of the spring pack.

·
Bassmaster
701 Posts
How did you get 3" from a shackle? Belltech only makes 1-2" like every other drop company.
I'm sure he typed it wrong....a 3" shackle would hit the bed, or go thru it :anitoof:

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
what do you use to clamp the overload to the other springs?
Spring clamps; you can get them from any auto parts store. Looks kinda like this but is usually a u-bolt on the bottom:

They'll only give half an inch though at the most. Your best bet would be to go back to stock shackles/hangers and put on a flip kit.

·
[b]Not Prostreet[/b]
2,541 Posts
id like to see those clamps installed please

1 - 20 of 43 Posts