GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1346 Posts

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***PLEASE READ***
can we keep the "why lower a 4x4", "I don't get it" or "what a waste of a truck" out of this thread? If you don't like it, think its dumb or whatever, then stay out of here. This is for the people who WANT to. Thank you.

NBS Tahoe, Suburban, Avalanche, Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT (including auto-ride equipped vehicles)
For the SUVs the front is done the same way as a truck, what differs is the rear. Ground Force seems to have a good selection of lowering kits for the SUVs. Kits vary from a 2.5" to a 3.5" rear drop. Most kits should be around $480 or more.

NBS Tahoe/Suburban 5" Rear Thanks to groundscraper for that info
McGaughys drop kit for SUVs. Note that with spindles you will need 17" rims or bigger.

NBS 1500, SS
McGaughys has some things for the 4wd/AWD trucks there. Note that with spindles you will need 17" rims or bigger.

If you want to just get the truck as close to a "level" stance is possible by lowering, you can buy the 2wd U-bolts (P/N 15002781) and take out the rear lift blocks and replace the 4wd U-bolts with the 2wd U-bolts. This should drop the rear about 2" and be pretty damn close to level. Pretty cheap and fairly quick to do.

NBS 1500HD/2500LD, 2500HD, 3500 Dually and Hummer H2
McGaughys is the way to go IMO. The most they offer is a 3/5 drop. The front consists of spindles and lowering keys. For the Spindles you will need 17" rims or bigger. Prices vary from $309-$599 + shipping.

The rear of a 4x4 is no different than a 2wd truck, so if you want to go with something other than McGaughys for the rear, go for it.

The following info is specifically for the trucks, and more so for 1500HD/2500LDs

For those of you who will NOT be towing/hauling: All you'll need to do is trim the bump stops. Even with mild towing/hauling applications this will be ok. The only worry is that you might possibly bottom out from time to time.

For those of you who WILL be towing/hauling every now and then: You're going to want the Air Over Leaf (AOL) kit. The AOL is from Air Ride Technologies. If you go to the link you'll see they're rated at different loads. If you have a 1500HD/2500LD you'll probably want the 4000lbs-kit. But depending on how much you plan to tow/haul will determine which kit you'll need/want. Prices from $250-$325 + shipping.

For the AOL kit you don't need a compressor. Although this may seem janky, if you only need them every now and then this is good. Simply run air lines and have a remote fill plug for each bag. Then whenever you need them just pump them full of air. Otherwise Air Ride Technologies should be sufficient.

Other Links
Belltech

2007+ NNBS

So far on the 2007+ trucks/SUVs the only thing I have gotten confirmed is that McGaughy's 2" Drop Spindles will work on 2wd/4wd/AWD. McGaughy's. As far as the rear drop goes, its going to be the same as a 2wd drop.

If anyone comes across any new info pertaining 2007+ 4wd/AWD trucks, whether it be spindles from another company, or coils working, please either post in the thread or PM me so that I can add it to the list.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
For New Body Style Half Ton Trucks
The front can be lowered by either loosening the torsion bar bolts on the torsion bar subframe. Another way would be to install Belltech torsion bar keys. They let you crank the front end down lower. Other then buying them with a kit for a truck through Stylinconcepts.com or truckperformance.com, the only way I could see buying them are through Belltech directly.

Another option for the front of the NBS 1/2 ton trucks are McGaughys spindles. They drop the front 2 inches. Be aware that 17" or bigger wheels are required when you install these spindles. And as I said with the Belltech keys, the only way I know to get these are directly from McGaudhys.

For Old Body Style Half Ton Trucks and SUVs
For the OBS trucks I am not aware of any way to lower the front of a 4x4 truck other than the Belltech torsion bar keys. Like I said the only way I can think of to only get the drop keys are from directly from Belltech. However, there maybe a kit for your truck that includes the Belltech keys.

www.Stylingconcepts.com or www.Truckperformance.com may have kits avaliable for your 4x4.

·
STATIC 4 LIFE
2,923 Posts
Ill chime in about the facts of bagging a 4wd truck with a basic wite up. Give me a week or two.

But one misconception i can tell you right off the bat is that the drive shafts do not bind even when a 4wd truck is layed out enguaged in 4wd. They are almost line straight. Thats why im really superised companies have found this out for 4wd static drops and decided to go lower then 3" in front. Lifting the truck causes much more driveshaft angel. Moving on, ill have my bagged info up in a couple weeks.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
blown'N'bagged4wd said:
Ill chime in about the facts of bagging a 4wd truck with a basic wite up. Give me a week or two.

But one misconception i can tell you right off the bat is that the drive shafts do not bind even when a 4wd truck is layed out enguaged in 4wd. They are almost line straight. Thats why im really superised companies have found this out for 4wd static drops and decided to go lower then 3" in front. Lifting the truck causes much more driveshaft angel. Moving on, ill have my bagged info up in a couple weeks.
Yes, thats another thing I would like to point out.

People have said that lowering a 4x4 too much will cause the front CV axle shafts to bind and break. However, it is no worse than when someone with a lifted truck cranks their front end up to the point of what some consider "bad angles"

·
Registered
450 Posts
I too wonder about the CVs binding if you go lower than the suggested 3". There should not be any problem with angles because there aren't any with lowering. The only think I can think of is that the length of the CV shaft stays constant when lifting, lowering or stock so when you lower it, the CV shafts force themselves into the spindles more causing some sort of bind. If that is the case maybe you can get the CV shafts shortened. I want to play around with my front end and see what I can figure out.

Attachments

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
spitfire2332 said:
NBS Tahoe, Suburban, Avalanche, Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT (including auto-ride equipped vehicles)
For the SUVs the front is done the same way as a truck, what differs is the rear. Ground Force seems to have a good selection of lowering kits for the SUVs. Kits vary from a 2.5" to a 3.5" rear drop. Most kits should be around $480 or more.
By the front is done the same as a truck, you mean a 4X4 truck, right? The front of NBS SUVs 2WD or 4WD are the same, they use torsion bars/keys. To lower them there is options from Spindles (2"), torsion keys (2"), or control arms (3"). The rear can be dropped up to 5" via coil springs, shock relocation kits, and rear hardware kits (for sway bar relocation, etc..).

·
STATIC 4 LIFE
2,923 Posts
99bluetahoe said:
I too wonder about the CVs binding if you go lower than the suggested 3". There should not be any problem with angles because there aren't any with lowering. The only think I can think of is that the length of the CV shaft stays constant when lifting, lowering or stock so when you lower it, the CV shafts force themselves into the spindles more causing some sort of bind. If that is the case maybe you can get the CV shafts shortened. I want to play around with my front end and see what I can figure out.

I already have proven this point wrong, 1" from laying frame enguaged in 4WD! No issues whatsoever.

·
STATIC 4 LIFE
2,923 Posts
Here is are the pictures on how keeping 4wd and bagging a 4wd works.
Lower control are and a arm..

Ill keep it simple and post what i can with the time i have.
Here are pictures.. It makes sence if you look at what i have done.

ADAMSTEVEMIKEY011.jpg

ADAMSTEVEMIKEY012.jpg

ADAMSTEVEMIKEY013.jpg

When bagging a 4wd truck the rear is the same as a 2wd as stated. But on the OBS trucks the rear is 2" wider along with the front end of the 4wd trucks, so finding wheels that work might be some work. But the front diff hasnt been and issue along with the front drive shafts. So all in all, if companies would back parts in order to bag or lower a 4wd OBS this would make things alot easier. I really havent figured out after doing all this work why parts arnt made to lower a 4wd a 4" static drop in front or for that matter bagging a truck thats 4wd with 4wd still in place. If any company wants to tackle making a 4" or 5" drop key if possible for a static drop the the OBS 4wd trucks i can prove my point to the fullest. I was almost thinking of a way to do this myself. The front drive shafts are not even close to an issue with the obs 4wd trucks people make it up to be.
Here is what i have seen with the 6" lift on the same truck i have bagged right now. There is minor binding when cranked on a 6" lift.. When not cranked the drives shaft work fine flexed down twards the ground to a certain point.. Now The drive shaft when the truck is lifted from what i have seen has almost twice as much downwerd vs downwerd movment when the 4wd truck is layed out.. Keep in mind i have now lifted and bagged this truck seeing both and driving both. With this being the case companies are taking more of a risk with the lift kits vs making a 4/5" front drop kit for the 4wd trucks. I know once you go bigger then a 6" or so lift you have to drop the front diff. But from what ive seen there is no reason not to make a kit that allows a large drop in front while keeping your 4wd ability.
Thats what i have for now.

·
STATIC 4 LIFE
2,923 Posts
99bluetahoe said:

Anothere point. SO dont go offroading with a stock truck and flex, youll bind your front shafts. It doesnt work that way.

Keeping on the topic on what i was speaking about b4, with trying to figure out if its possible to make 4" drop keys or 5" drop keys. If this is possible to make such a key the OBS 4wd frame does not have bump stops or anything in the way from allowing the truck to do so. Now this has got me thinking. WHO would i even start talking to in order to try this as a prototype, being im bagged and 1" from laying frame 4wd able just to prove my point of the driveshaft issue, i could present myself to let say Belltech in order to produce "if possible" such a key using my truck as a ginniepig.. How would i approch such an ordeal? It would only been an innovation twards 4wd lowering and alot of money for the companies in lowering bis.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There was a write up in truckin a month or two ago about dropping a NBS Escalade with the AWD with a new company named suspenmax I believe. I know if you search you can get the keys from them off ebay for 70 shipped. Just buy a set of their lifted keys for your application and write them that you want the lowered ones when you paypal the money. This is what I was instructed to do by them. I had a 95 tahoe that I had lowered with keys in front and a flip/notch and lifted shackle in rear. Was like a 3.5/5 drop. Absolutely no probs. That got wrecked, I got paid by the insurance comp., and now I am going to lower my new 95. I plan on doing the same as last time, I'm just going to do the work this time myself. Also, I used nitro drop shocks, but want to go with something less stiff this time. Any suggestions?

·
99Z71 For Sale
745 Posts
lift kits drop the differential...

i havent gotten under my truck in the front...btu could we 'raise' the differential up at all for when we lower our trucks? or is there no room there? just an idea/thought.

blownbagged u have ur lower bag mount on the upper control arm right?? instead of the lower control arm?

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
groundscraper said:
By the front is done the same as a truck, you mean a 4X4 truck, right?
yes

groundscraper said:
The rear can be dropped up to 5" via coil springs, shock relocation kits, and rear hardware kits (for sway bar relocation, etc..).
I looked around and the lowest I could find for the NBS 4WD SUVs was a 3.5". If you have any other info to add then go for it.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
on my nbs when i lowered the front about 5" it sat like this and 4wd worked fine. i used tuff country keyes to achieve all of this drop. now weather or not i installed then correctly i donno.

000_0540.jpg

unfortunately it rode like crap because of this

zerosuspension.gif

heres a pic of the cv angles.

000_0557.gif

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd love to be able to lower my front more than 3", I'd probably like the fender to sit about an inch above the tire. But to get the back that low I think i'd have to notch the rear :(

·
STATIC 4 LIFE
2,923 Posts
Rook said:
lift kits drop the differential...

i havent gotten under my truck in the front...btu could we 'raise' the differential up at all for when we lower our trucks? or is there no room there? just an idea/thought.

blownbagged u have ur lower bag mount on the upper control arm right?? instead of the lower control arm?
There is no reason to raise the diff but if possible might be a save move. I dont see a reason to.
Yes my bags are on top arm.

Whats this with the use of off road keyes and using them to drop? Im not to aware of this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I read somewhere, I think an s10 forum, where you could just flip your keys (essentially use the driver's in the pass side and pass in driver's side) and that would achieve a drop. I believe there were tons of trouble with the keys breaking or something though.

1 - 20 of 1346 Posts