GMC Truck Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1347 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,626 Posts
Lowered+4wd+turbos= bad ass boosted launches. If I didn't have to plow through snow drifts the dmax would have been a lot lower.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nasty

·
Registered
10 Posts
***PLEASE READ***
can we keep the "why lower a 4x4", "I don't get it" or "what a waste of a truck" out of this thread? If you don't like it, think its dumb or whatever, then stay out of here. This is for the people who WANT to. Thank you.

NBS Tahoe, Suburban, Avalanche, Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT (including auto-ride equipped vehicles)
For the SUVs the front is done the same way as a truck, what differs is the rear. Ground Force seems to have a good selection of lowering kits for the SUVs. Kits vary from a 2.5" to a 3.5" rear drop. Most kits should be around $480 or more.

NBS Tahoe/Suburban 5" Rear Thanks to groundscraper for that info
McGaughys drop kit for SUVs. Note that with spindles you will need 17" rims or bigger.

NBS 1500, SS
McGaughys has some things for the 4wd/AWD trucks there. Note that with spindles you will need 17" rims or bigger.

If you want to just get the truck as close to a "level" stance is possible by lowering, you can buy the 2wd U-bolts (P/N 15002781) and take out the rear lift blocks and replace the 4wd U-bolts with the 2wd U-bolts. This should drop the rear about 2" and be pretty damn close to level. Pretty cheap and fairly quick to do.

NBS 1500HD/2500LD, 2500HD, 3500 Dually and Hummer H2
McGaughys is the way to go IMO. The most they offer is a 3/5 drop. The front consists of spindles and lowering keys. For the Spindles you will need 17" rims or bigger. Prices vary from $309-$599 + shipping.

The rear of a 4x4 is no different than a 2wd truck, so if you want to go with something other than McGaughys for the rear, go for it.

The following info is specifically for the trucks, and more so for 1500HD/2500LDs

For those of you who will NOT be towing/hauling: All you'll need to do is trim the bump stops. Even with mild towing/hauling applications this will be ok. The only worry is that you might possibly bottom out from time to time.

For those of you who WILL be towing/hauling every now and then: You're going to want the Air Over Leaf (AOL) kit. The AOL is from Air Ride Technologies. If you go to the link you'll see they're rated at different loads. If you have a 1500HD/2500LD you'll probably want the 4000lbs-kit. But depending on how much you plan to tow/haul will determine which kit you'll need/want. Prices from $250-$325 + shipping.

For the AOL kit you don't need a compressor. Although this may seem janky, if you only need them every now and then this is good. Simply run air lines and have a remote fill plug for each bag. Then whenever you need them just pump them full of air. Otherwise Air Ride Technologies should be sufficient.

Other Links
Belltech

2007+ NNBS

So far on the 2007+ trucks/SUVs the only thing I have gotten confirmed is that McGaughy's 2" Drop Spindles will work on 2wd/4wd/AWD. McGaughy's. As far as the rear drop goes, its going to be the same as a 2wd drop.

If anyone comes across any new info pertaining 2007+ 4wd/AWD trucks, whether it be spindles from another company, or coils working, please either post in the thread or PM me so that I can add it to the list.

·
Fat Ginger Kid
2,895 Posts
Old member checking back in with a question. I have a '07 Sierra 1500 Classic CCSB. I've ordered parts to do a 2/4 drop (Belltech 2" drop spindles/block removal/Belltech 2" drop shackles/shocks) for it. I have a set of OEM 20s on the truck with 275/55R20 tires. Will I be ok with that size tire? I've searched through this thread and I can't seem to find anyone on that tire.

·
Registered
137 Posts
From what I've seen yes you should be fine. A 2/4 drop puts you at about the same height as a 2wd stock.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Anybody have pics lowered with an all terrain tire. Looking to go 285/50r20. Thinking about tunning a AT tire so i can still get good winter traction. Only going with roughly a 2" drop. Hoping it doesnt look wierd.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
The great white Canadian
1,546 Posts
Like this?

Not mine, but he has 285/60r18 KO2s and I think he has a 4/6 drop.
Screenshot_20190609-194451_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20190609-194523_Instagram.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
leveling keys 2" block 285/60r20

purple keys max height no block 285/50r20.

Plan to do shackles & drop the front to match approx 2 more inches

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, new to the forum but it seems like a great one to help me get done what I'm looking to do!! I've got a 1999 Chevy K3500 (OBS), crew cab short bed dually, 4 wheel drive. I've seen them in the passed lowered as well as slammed on air ride set ups.
Right now I am just looking to get it as low as possible (5/7 front and back maybe) without bagging it. I've talked to people over at McGaughys, BellTech, and DJM... Non of whom have kits for this truck in a 4 wheel drive... Can you all help me out here with how I can get this truck lowered??? Any help is very much appreciated!!!
Cheers!

·
The great white Canadian
1,546 Posts
99 K3500's have torsion bar front suspension. I'm may be wrong, but at best I think you can only lower the front 2-3" maybe.

·
Fat Ginger Kid
2,895 Posts
Here is my 2007 Sierra 1500 Classic 4wd.
I lowered it using Belltech spindles, shackles and nitro drop 2 shocks, along with their shorter bump stops.
I also removed the OEM 4wd block and installed 2wd u-bolts.
Tire size is the OEM 275/55R20

Reactions: phule

·
Registered
139 Posts
5FC9A158-AD7E-4EFC-9297-013C74901EFB.jpeg
I basically did the same drop on my 2000. How do you like the ride with the nitro shocks?

·
Fat Ginger Kid
2,895 Posts
View attachment 824153 I basically did the same drop on my 2000. How do you like the ride with the nitro shocks?
I can only compare it to the previously worn out shocks that were on the truck when I purchased it, but it is an improvement. Nothing like the reviews online saying that they are junk. Was originally wanting the Street Performance shocks they sell, but those were back ordered in Canada.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
My two cents, the street pros and nitro drops are the same. Both twin tube shocks. Both will fade after 3 months or so.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I’ve been running Rancho RS9900’s because of their adjustability aspect. They are presently adjusted to max stiff, and they seem to be getting softer. The shocks have only been on for about a year. Doesn’t seem very good to me. Who makes a decent shock for our lowered 4 wheelers? I’m sure there are plenty of opinions out there, and I know that this has been covered before. But, times have changed, innovations have come and gone. I gotta get something else. Who has had a good experience with shocks?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone caught wind of on the shelf parts out there for the 2015-2019 2500/3500 trucks? I've found 2" shackles, torsion keys, and could remove my overload. But I haven't found anyone else out there that's stocking or marketing anything more than that for these trucks. I'm really hoping to get like a 3/5 or 4/6 drop but I don't think its in the cards without doing custom parts or bags.

·
Fat Ginger Kid
2,895 Posts
Ok, so I've slightly lowered my 4x4, and now I have the itch to go lower. For the 2wd CCSB, I've read you can swap in a 2 piece driveshaft from a 2wd ECSB. Is it the same for 4wds?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Ok, so I've slightly lowered my 4x4, and now I have the itch to go lower. For the 2wd CCSB, I've read you can swap in a 2 piece driveshaft from a 2wd ECSB. Is it the same for 4wds?
Not direct swap like the 2wds, and the single drive shaft won’t give problems until 6” or more drop.

1321 - 1340 of 1347 Posts