GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad and i just accomplished this task. it was a headache, but it was worth it.

parts needed:
dash wiring harness from and LT of LS truck with power (try and get one from a truck like yours, either regular cab or extended cab)
underdash white fuse panel (preferably from same truck)
left side fuse panel (again, has to be changed, but from the same truck as above)
BCM from the same truck
Door wiring harnesses (shouldn't matter what truck it comes out of, but try to get the switches with it)
Door panels (there were to holes in mine, one took a screw and cap, one took a plug)
Window regulators (note the motors should be attached, also, the place might have new aftermarket)
194 bulbs for the door lights

1) follow HOW TO TAKE OUT DASH NBS

2) unhook the battery

3) then just go ahead and take out the headlight switch panel, cluster, climate control, radio, and airbag on/off switch labeling the new harness with the plugs as you go. I found that blue painters tape worked best with a sharpie.

4) then you're going to want to start on the passenger side and unclip the plugs on the right side, making sure to label where they go with either a picture or etc... there should be four plugs.

5) work your way over to the driver side making sure to follow the wires and unplug everything as you go. to get the black box out from the passenger side, you're going to have to turn it at an angle and lay it flat.

6) as you get to the radio bucket, you'll need to unbolt it. the rivets are fine because it'll still move enough to move everything around.

7) from behind the radio bucket to almost the cluster, the wiring harness is taped to a plastic brace that is clipped to the metal dash frame, if you can get your hand in to unclip it, congratulations :crazy::worship:, but if you can't just rip carefully and it should pull out.

8) as you make your way across, you need to get under and unhook all the wires from the BCM, underdash foot fuse panel (it's covered by a black box with a plastic fastener) , and the left side fuse panel. while you're there, you might as well replace them with the new ones.

9) putting it back together is easier because you'll know how it has to go and what has to be done. just do it opposite as you took it apart.

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
for the doors:

1) take off the mirror plate, lock indicator, the door handle bezel, the window roller, and the screws that hold the door panel on and pull it off.

2) the door handle HAS to come off along with the weather guard.

3) unhook the wiring harness that's in the door now and run the new ones the same way. there should be the connectors for the locks left, but tape them up if you didn't buy the lock actuators.

4) hold the windows up or take them out, unbolt the old manual regulators and hook up the new ones.

5) make sure the lights are in the sockets

6) make sure all the switches are hooked up and everything works then put everything back together.

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's honestly hard to say.

the door panels with switches were $200
the wiring harness (dash and both doors) were $150
the regulators were $50 used or $100 new
the BCM was $50, but i was quoted 100 somewhere else
then it had to go to GM because the idiots that pulled the harness broke some wires so i have to pay about $1000 to them (shouldn't have to go to the dealership)
plus there were the two plugs and screws/caps that were $30 from gm

·
Registered
134 Posts
any idea if it is a similar deal for nnbs? I wanted power windows when i bought the truck but of all the options i wanted that was the only thing they didnt have and i didnt want to wait. The harder part is prob finding a nnbs thats wrecked and isnt already stripped of all its parts.

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it SHOULD be the same man.

if you wanna pay, there is an 08 duramax with power everything. i'd be happy to pick it up and ship it to you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
it SHOULD be the same man.

if you wanna pay, there is an 08 duramax with power everything. i'd be happy to pick it up and ship it to you.
im not ganna dive into it right yet maybe by next summer. thank you though. i hadnt really looked into what was going on in there even though ive had the door panels off twice already. was hoping the wiring was all there but i guess theres a good chance its not.

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
56 Posts
it's honestly hard to say.

the door panels with switches were $200
the wiring harness (dash and both doors) were $150
the regulators were $50 used or $100 new
the BCM was $50, but i was quoted 100 somewhere else
then it had to go to GM because the idiots that pulled the harness broke some wires so i have to pay about $1000 to them (shouldn't have to go to the dealership)
plus there were the two plugs and screws/caps that were $30 from gm
were all the locks and windows working before you had to take the truck to the dealer?
what wasn't working that made you take it to the dealer?
thaks

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the idiots that pulled the harness at the junkyard broke some wires.

·
Banned
1,847 Posts
for the doors:

1) take off the mirror plate, lock indicator, the door handle bezel, the window roller, and the screws that hold the door panel on and pull it off.

2) the door handle HAS to come off along with the weather guard.

3) unhook the wiring harness that's in the door now and run the new ones the same way. there should be the connectors for the locks left, but tape them up if you didn't buy the lock actuators.

4) hold the windows up or take them out, unbolt the old manual regulators and hook up the new ones.

5) make sure the lights are in the sockets

6) make sure all the switches are hooked up and everything works then put everything back together.
hey man plaese pm on this i got questions!!!

but did you leave your dash in place to put on the dash harness i herd it has to come off!!??

thanks

·
"God Damn Buick Regal"
1,555 Posts
okay i know this is a old thread but this will be useful to anyone that has a 99-02 that wants to convert to power windows. the steps are the same as 03-07 but the parts needed is different..
here are the parts needed and what year truck you need to get them out of..this is the info i used from 88GMCtruck, im just posting it up.

Power Dash Harness if you have a 99 the harness must come from a 99yr model truck(abs plugs are different from 00-02)
Door panels 99-02
Door harness 99-02
Door switches 99-02
Window regulators/motor 99-06
Power lock motors (which is part of the door latch) 99-06
Power mirrors 99-02(03-06 can be used if you change plugs or wire them directly)

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
are the window tracks the same......with exception to power or manual? I have a pair of working window motors for an 06, but do I need to replace the entire window track/regulator or just swap the crank mechanism for the power motor?

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i'd go ahead and swap it all... it's not too bad.

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chase did it and it's really not that bad. This write-up should more than answer your questions or you can text me at the number above.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.