GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Lifted 2wd
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This how-to only works in 2WD, NBS trucks. The idea is to be able to place switches where the 4WD trucks have their transfer case switches. Since I've already done this on my truck, there are no pictures for a couple steps.

First step is to remove the dash bezel. For those who have never done this, simply move the column shift to 1st gear and yank the bezel off. There are no hidden screws. This is the piece you want to pull out next. It too will just pop out.
DSC03012.jpg

Next, I used 3/16" Lexan to make my filler piece from. 1/8" will work but you will need to "shim" it out to fit flush with the bezel.
DSC03014.jpg

I like to wrap Lexan in blue painters tape before cutting to reduce splinters. Take the pocket, place upside-down on the Lexan and trace the pattern as well as noting where you will need to drill 2 mounting holes.
DSC03016.jpg

I used a jigsaw to make the cuts since this is the easiest/fastest method.
DSC03017.jpg

This is what you should now have. Note: you don't need to actually cut around the mounting tabs, you can make a straight cut if you want.
DSC03018.jpg

Drill you 2 mounting holes.
DSC03020.jpg

Scuff the outer surface with a Scotchbrite pad or sandpaper.
DSC03021.jpg

Paint any color you like. I chose Krylon semi-flat black.
DSC03025.jpg

Get a little hardware.
DSC03027.jpg

Next is to mount it in the truck and re-install the bezel BEFORE drilling any holes. Use a pencil and softly outline the bezel opening. This will guarantee the the switches are centered.
Remove all the pieces, drill and place any switch you like, and enjoy a clean factory look.
DSC03009.jpg

DSC02889.jpg

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
those factory gauges?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Nice and easy. Damn I dont have a 2wd so i cant trace it :(, Wanna trace one and send it my way :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
thats fucking bad ass i want to do that i just need to figure out why i need switch's now haha great idea

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Nice and easy. Damn I dont have a 2wd so i cant trace it :(, Wanna trace one and send it my way :D
i have a 2wd... when we install my hu we can trace it.:read:

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Was it hard to get the wire up to there or

·
Lifted 2wd
773 Posts
thats fucking bad ass i want to do that i just need to figure out why i need switch's now haha great idea
That's exactly what I was thinking.. Maybe a train horn :hmm: Or lights :)

pretty cool, but my traction control stuff is there.. :/
I didn't think about that, I think mine is there too. I wonder if you could cut a hole above the tc button.

·
Lifted 2wd
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The top switch is for the wig-wags in my headlights, the bottom is for the 50 watt lights under my rear bumper.

Was it hard to get the wire up to there or
After you remove the pocket, it's a huge hole in back so it's super easy

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
NIce looking forward to installing my sub controls there :)

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts