GMC Truck Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I don't know how to wax nor do I have a machine to
wax....
All I have is some Meguiars NXT Gen wax and the applicator pad it came with....

·
GMC Owner
1,114 Posts
wax....
Just wax by hand. The only time a use a machine is for products like adam's super machine wax. And the is more of a sealant than wax. Most waxes are meant to be put on by hand, including the nxt gen wax.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
wax....
Waxing isn't all that complicated... just use the stuff you have and apply a coat after using the claybar. Never leave your paint unprotected, the clay will pull off contamination and any protection you had on their previously, essentially leaving it "naked" unless you want severely trashed paint take the time to wax it afterwards.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
So essentially just apply the NXT Generation wax to the purple applicator pad, then wipe on area, then let it dry to a haze or immediately wipe it off with microfiber towel....?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm by no means a detailer, I just went to the local auto store and bought the ICE clay bar kit. Came with the liquid clay bar, clay bar lube, and the clay bar itself. I'll rinse off my truck, wash it with soap, liquid claybar it, then take the clay bar to the whole thing. When I'm done I'll wash it again(I use the ICE wash soap). I've been extremely happy with the results, my truck feels smooth and looks brand new afterward. I've never tried anything else so I'm curious as to why the ICE stuff is junk?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
clay then wax. if you dont know what you are doing than pay for it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can try to use some "body shine" or "flash wax" for your claying needs, it keeps the surface slick and smooth, and also it helps with the paint getting a light protection after the "raildust" is off

·
I like 'em white
2,749 Posts
By using plenty of lube, constantly folding in the picked up particles and never using clay that is overly dirty you can reduce the chance of scratching to a pretty low level. Guys that are meticulous about their paint will clay numerous times a year and still have perfect paint.

·
P.I.M.P. Trucks
126 Posts
nice write-up

·
Registered
177 Posts
Spoke with a Adams rep online chat. I never had success with the clay bar, but think it was relative to bad products and no knowledge of how to use it. Adams rep said their clay is a little softer then most. I would think the softer the better. Would that be correct?

·
Registered
76 Posts
what type of wax everyone is using ?

anyone has experience with polishing ? whats the difference between waxing and polishing and what type of products you guys use for polishing and what steps take into place

for example

wash/clay/wax ?

or
wash/clay/polish?/wax ?

·
I like 'em white
2,749 Posts
what type of wax everyone is using ?

anyone has experience with polishing ? whats the difference between waxing and polishing and what type of products you guys use for polishing and what steps take into place

for example

wash/clay/wax ?

or
wash/clay/polish?/wax ?
There are so many good waxes out there its hard to pick just one. I love Adams and I routinely go between Americana (paste wax) and Machine Super Sealant (liquid sealant). It really depends on what you want out of a wax.

Polishing and waxing are very different. Waxing is applying a top coat of to protect the paint and will also improve the look of paint. Polishing refers to a process that eliminates scratches and swirls from your paints clear coat. Polishes are applied with a machine such as a random orbital polisher or rotary. Polishes are available in varying levels of abrasiveness according to what you need. Check these out they will explain better than I can.

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html

http://youtu.be/YE8P2DhP_TE

41 - 60 of 69 Posts