GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday I took off the stock tailgate cap and I am left with the threaded holes. Not wanting to get water inside, suppose to rain all week, I put the bolts back on. What I want to know is how to take the threaded holes out of the tailgate? I have a SS tailgate cap that I want to put on but I need to have that area smooth.

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about the part of the threaded hole that sticks out past the actual tailgate shell? How do I get those off?

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like I should have waited for whenever I get a roll pan and the relocated the handle to do this :banghead: .......

I can't get a pic right now but there are little metal rings that sit on the outside of the hole and I don't think that the SS cap will sit over those. It should sit over the holes once the metal rings are removed. Thanks for the pic bcubed......that is the way I want the cap to look.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
if you are really good with an angle grinder use it to grind them flat, if not use something more exact like a dremmel.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i have a 01 LT, and i didn't have thoose rims... I didn't even have the holes in the tail gate. I guess some of our trucks were built differently than others.

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2k1slvrdo said:
i have a 01 LT, and i didn't have thoose rims... I didn't even have the holes in the tail gate. I guess some of our trucks were built differently than others.
Did you have that bulky tailgate cap or did you have the thin one? I had the bulky one and that one have screws on it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did you test fit the SS cap to see if it would cover them? When I replaced the shelf GM put on my truck with a smooth one it fit and covered the holes. Give it a shot.

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The threaded holes have a ring that keeps them from falling into the tailgate itself. These rings sit on the outside of the tailgate but I will check to see if the SS cap will fit over them.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I just had holes in my tailgate...they were flush with the gate since i had the "slim" tailgate protector that tapes on instead of screws on. The SS cap fit fine back over everything and covered them up. If they are sticking out like in your case, they would need to be ground down, or filled up and grinded smooth. Of course then you'd likely need new paint and everything, might be best to wait until the handle is flipped...

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To late, i already took off the other cap not thinking that there would be something like that in the way.

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is welding angle iron (c-channel, box beam, etc.) different from welding sheet metal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got the same problem. I think the threaded inserts you're refering to are basically braded in, not threaded. I'll let you know if I find out how to remove them.

Do you have the part # for the SS tailgate cap? My Chevy dealer can't locate.

·
Registered
586 Posts
To use the closest term, those threaded plugs are "riveted" in place. Drill them out or grind them off. They can be a bitch at times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts