GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im lookin into doing a v8 swap in my silverado, and im tryin to find 5.3 with 35k-60k miles. Some of the junk yards cant even tell me straight up up the motors are 5.3s or 4.8s. i know there isnt a big difference between them besides the stroke. Does anyone know what casting numbers usually came with what motor?

thanks,
Dennis

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
nope, head castings are 862 or 706 for both. goodluck telling them apart. the only way i know to tell is if the 8th character of the VIN is a T, then its a 5.3. If the 8th character is a V, its a 4.8

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
usually a yard will have the vin it came out of, ask for it and check with what Coop posted

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
engine dyno if the have one?
lol, I dont know about your area but I dont know of many junk yards with engine dynos.

And the ratings for them changed depending on year with the later 4.8s making as much or more power than the early 5.3s. If they dont know what motor it is they probably dont know what year truck it came out of.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
nope, head castings are 862 or 706 for both. goodluck telling them apart. the only way i know to tell is if the 8th character of the VIN is a T, then its a 5.3. If the 8th character is a V, its a 4.8
this is right.... pretty sure for 07+++ they changed the 8th digit of the vin

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
the best way is to buy mine lol, this way it also comes w/ volant intake, ls6 springs ls1 hot cam already installed. And a 4l60e too

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
isn't it different for the "flex" engines? I know my 5.3 is not flex and has the "T".

I just say avoid that confusion and look for a 6.0, haha! :ninja:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Torque is the key, from my memory it's not only around 25ft-lbs less but it's around 500-700rpm HIGHER to get there.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Why not go with the 6.0?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright thanks guys info helped alot im call the junkyard tomorrow and see if they got all the vin to the motors.

ya just about all my buddies keep telling me 6.0 but i wont have have the money to do that and all the other goodies ima do when i do the sway plus getting the tranny built.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts