GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Team White!
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to stay on top of all the suspension. Is there a way to tell or do they just break, and when they do what happens?

Also, trying to figure out if I need to do balljoints or not. When I was doing the suspension lift. I had the control arms off and the ball joint seemed to be loose feeling, but there was no load on them, when I put everything back together, I shook up and down and side to side and everything was tight. Dont want to replace them if I dont have to, but then again don't want a balljoint to break going down the highway. Is it possible for a balljoint to be bad but not have any play in it?

·
Registered
640 Posts
When the hubs get ready to go bad, you'll hear a clicking sound when the wheel turns, thats how mine was. you can also jack the truck up and grab the wheel and move it and see if the hub has any play in it.

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
when they start doing drugs and gambling

or when they click, grind or simply fall apart under you

if your balljoints have no play then you should be ok. if not then pray when it does break only one goes... its almost always the uppers so you can kind of stop and steer out of trouble

if they make noise tighten them immediately, you might prevent a massive problem!

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
When the hubs get ready to go bad, you'll hear a clicking sound when the wheel turns, thats how mine was. you can also jack the truck up and grab the wheel and move it and see if the hub has any play in it.
Same way mine went out.:nono:

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
i think mine were origional ones and if so 65k and 5k were lifted on 37s and 44s.

·
submarine z71
1,310 Posts
but if the tire moves make sure it aint a balljoint and its the hub thas movin before u replace it

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Hubs will also make a humming sound (kinda like the sound of mud tires) that changes pitch and usually gets louder when you turn one way or another at speed. Clicking sound can also be a CV going bad.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine made the squealing sound sorta like it does when brakes go bad but it squealed ALL the time not just braking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts