GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a brief write up on an very easy thermostat swap with some pictures.
Need 10mm socket,
drain pans
vice grips
wire ties

First off..Here is the new thermostat..160 degree
dominica105.gif

Let truck cool and Remove your rap cap to realease the system pressure. When removing the lower rad hose, coolant will want to come out of the rad, but not the motor bescause the thermostat is presently closed. So at this point you need to be concerned with stopping the rad fluid from emptying the rad
I like to keep as much as possible inside, to prevent contamination. I like to take Two small vice grips and put one of each side of the hose to restrict leakage,(however, you can run the risk of collapsing some rad hoses) then after I pull the hose off wire tie it back up to stopp all fluid from emptying.
dominica136.gif

dominica157.gif

Now you need to remvoe the theremostat and housing, and let the rad fluid drain our into pans below the truck..there sablout 5 litres in there....
dominica161.gif

Install new Thermostat, un vice grip, and fill rad fluid...DONZO
dominica165.gif

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
At least you did mention that your way could damage a hose. Personally, I let the stuff drain when I replace stats. Good write up. :shake:

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
I want to get a 160 stat, where did you get it? How much? and did you have to get a new housing or just the thermostat itself?

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
I want to get a 160 stat, where did you get it? How much? and did you have to get a new housing or just the thermostat itself?
Pretty much any auto-parts store has them. They don't cost any more/less than the stock one and it's just the thermostat, no new housing required. You can get other temp's too; I run a 180 degree all year.

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Good to know. Well my stock is 186 and it ends up running at 200 anyway, and from what i've heard a 160 runs at like 170 ish anyway, and that's what i want.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
whats stock, 190?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
i cant remember if i have a 180 or 185

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
What's wrong with 195?
Nothing. I changed mine because last summer when it was nearing 120 degrees during the day I just wanted something that ran a little cooler because my temp would begin to indicate 220-230. Now it sits right at 180 and it never passed 190 even on those hot days. It is still plenty hot during the winter for my heater to work fine so I never changed it back.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
you got the 160 and you live in canada? good luck when its cold outside

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
160°F is too low imo Coolant doesn't cool as well and oil will hardly get up to temperature. 180°F is best all around.

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
With the new LS1 based engines, LQ4 and LQ9, I believe the thermostat is integral to the outlet from the engine so it has that little housing is attached. If you get a lower temperature thermostat, the engine will run cooler. This could allow for a cooler intake charge but more than likely will just help prevent overheating in some instances. In colder climates, like Canada, it would probably be better to leave the higher temp. thermostat...I'm not sure when the last time Quebec got above 100 degrees.

Later
Chris

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
160°F is too low imo Coolant doesn't cool as well and oil will hardly get up to temperature. 180°F is best all around.
Don't shoot me for this, but:
The coolant/antifreeze doesn't itself cool very much. The water is what carries heat away from the engine. The coolant is more of a lubricator for seals and prevents the coolant/water mixture from freezing in cold weather. I think optimum temperature for dino oil is something like 210-220 degrees running temp. That's not water temp, that's oil temp. I may be wrong, but I think that's where I've been told oil is good; synthetics I think are better cooler.

Just what I think/have been told.

Later
Chris

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
I actually went and bought a 180 thermo from the autoparts a few months ago, took my stocker out and put the new one in. It ended up running the same temp as it did before, about 200 or so. I looked at the box i got from the new one, and it said 186, i looked at the stock thermo and it said 186. So, a 186 thermo runs at 200, so IMO a 160 stat would run about 175 or so. IAT would be a little lower, you could add maybe a degree of timing, a/c would probably run better in the summer. I think it would be an all around good mod, for me at least. If you live in colder climates then obviously you would want to stay stock. Bgray, what does your truck end up running at temp wise? And you say you get them at cost, you wanna get one for me? lol.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
My stock thermo runs at 185 constantly, thats cool enough for me. These motors are designed to run in the 180-210 range :imo

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I onyl drive the truck on nice sunny summer days.....cold weather is not a factor for me. I isntalled it because of higher temps while on the dyno and while under load for a long period.

·
Registered
209 Posts
just another tip. im a tech for a chevy dealer and the pos clamps chevy uses break all the time esp up north with the salt. if it was me i would change the clamp when you have the hose off. just a little bit of security. ive seen quite a few trucks towed in for hoses blowing off from bad clamps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts