GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roomate has decided to sell his HP dana 44 to me for $250 if I want it. I can get a 14 bolt for $150. If i run the 44 instead of the dodge front 60 and rear 60, it will keep me from having to convert over to passinger side drop for now. I'm thinking this is a great way for me to get the truck on the road sooner, and save some money for body work. Plus that Dana 60 pair has a divorced transfer case with it, so i could always do a newer 2WD easier if this turns out well.
Tires on the truck will probably be on 38.5s but could be anywhere between 36-40.
just getting some opinions from you guys.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
well as far as strength the 44 wont be as strong but im sure you know that. Um the 14 bolt will be alot better than 60 that you have but gearing options will be limited to 5.13's at the most.

The front 44 would be fine in my opinion for 36s and as far as 38-40"s or bigger you better be ready to replace a few parts if you plan on harder wheeling.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Lindsay just got a Ford D60 froma a guy that has a few of them. you may save some labor without swapping t cases etc?

·
4,725 Posts
$250 is a pretty decent deal for a 79 Ford 250 44 right now. They will handle 38's fine as long as you aren't locked and thrashing hard. There will be noticeable costs in going with crossover and/or histeer, which is part of what eliminated the 44 in my options.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What exactly do you plan on doing with the truck?
street queen until I do the cummins/d60 swap.

Law, shouldn't the crossover be the same as the 60?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
well then by all means if you plan on a d60 later on go ahead and just wait unitl you find one and do it right the first time. Trust me on that man i know you want to get your truck done and on the road ASAP but dont even waste the time with a d44 if your just gonna sling it later.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still not 100% about the dodge, I might restore it.

and really I'm not out anything putting the 44 in there other than the 44 itself, the truck will already be set up (minus transfer case) if I chose to go with the D60.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Um the 14 bolt will be alot better than 60 that you have but gearing options will be limited to 5.13's at the most.
You can go down to 5.38's for 14 bolts

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
I would go to a 60. My friend gernaded 2 passenger side and 1 drivers side axle shafts, 4 drivers side and 1 passenger side u-joints. He's running a gutless ford 302 and 33x12.50 yokohama geolander a/t +II, and regeared to 4.56's. I helped him put the axle in his truck last spring and he's went though hell keeping it together. He does have a detroit lockright in it to, which I'm sure doesn't help things.

This is a hp44 out of an 78 f-250, and he only paid $75 for it straight outta the junkyard. He's looking for a 78 dana 60 and we must have no demand up here because he's looking at about $250 for one out of the junkyard.

·
4,725 Posts
With a 44 you need to make sure the passenger knuckle is flat top, then have it drilled and tapped. From there you can mount crossover or hi steer arms.
Kingpin 60, just mount some arms. Balljoint 60 you have to run aftermarket knuckles to get a flat top and a crossover arm.

One other thing you can do is get a spicer TRE with Y link mount on the passenger side, just have to make sure it clears the leafs.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
if its a 78-79 it should have flat tops already

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't seen it yet, but should see it tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts