GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RIP Jason Payne
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo my neighbour has a intercooled, whipple charged 8.1 vortec sitting in his shop that he's looking to sell for a retarded low price. The motor only has about 40000 miles and he only pulled it out of his HD avalanche because he swapped in a seriously hopped up duramax. It comes with alllison tranny, diffs, trasfercase, all the electronics and I think I can get it for under 4 grand.

Anyone want to speculate as to how much HP/TQ this setup can make? Im looking for at least 500 HP ideally, the motor will be going in a 97 chevy 1500 RCLB with 40-44" tires.

Im not really a motor guy so any input would be appreciated.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Finally got to spin the rollers for the first time since I did the Whipple install, believe it or not I am having great luck with the Whipple electronics A/F is right on..has been running flawlessly since day 1. Numbers are for a non-intercooled 8.1 with an Allison tranny, 3.73 gears, and 35" tires running 8lbs boost......

360 rwhp / 452 rwtrq

Not close to what a bombed Dmax can put down..but pretty damn respectable for a 8.1.
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...duction/112574-whippled-8-1-dyno-results.html

·
4,725 Posts
only 20hp more than stock. you should sell the whipple to me.

·
RIP Jason Payne
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on I was hoping you would chime in, Ive seen vids of your truck on youtube and it looks like it hauls pretty good.

How much boost do you think a person can safely run with the intercooler? What else do you think you would have to do to your setup to make over 400 RWHP/500 RWTQ?

·
4,725 Posts
You could buy Raylar stuff but the guy is a jerk( i was ready to buy and he lost me permanently in a single phone call). I would recommend the new Dart heads, a good set of springs/pushrods, and a cam grind other than the three that Comp offers. If you don't want to spend that much money, at least do a custom grind cam- something around 228/238, .540/.540 - 114.

·
RIP Jason Payne
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could buy Raylar stuff but the guy is a jerk( i was ready to buy and he lost me permanently in a single phone call). I would recommend the new Dart heads, a good set of springs/pushrods, and a cam grind other than the three that Comp offers. If you don't want to spend that much money, at least do a custom grind cam- something around 228/238, .540/.540 - 114.
I will deffinetly look into the heads and cam, im all new to this so it should be interesting. How well does your stock 8.1 pull through the mud with the big tires on it? All the racers around here are pretty oldschool with their 454 BBCs.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,892 Posts
I know Dan, 8.1HD, has had a whipple on his HD for a few years now. I know he's mentioned putting down some good numbers with his setup. I don't know the specifics though.

Maybe try PM'ing him.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,892 Posts
^^^ Gotcha...

Thats what I get for replying on my phone during lunch and not having time to check the links... Haha.

Anyway, that was back in 04'.... alot of time has passed since then. I know for one he has gotten a Blackbear tune since then and he said it made a difference. I'm not sure what else.

Wonder if he ever got more recent #'s???

·
Blown Big Block
980 Posts
Guess I'll give a little update, truck has [email protected], TOG mid-lengths, Flowmaster exhaust, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, snow meth., Blackbear tuning, mildly built allison...and I know I am forgetting some stuff but last time on the rollers 405/522 quite content with those numbers for now..LoL!:hmm:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfA00Ih4zGg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfA00Ih4zGg[/ame]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts