GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready for a tune. I am interested in the hp tuners or efi live. I am near Riverside Ca. Who can set me up, and what do I need to get a tune. I have used a predator in my last truck it did pretty good for me. But the hp tuners is all new to me.

Four2fight

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
are u lookin for someone to tune your truck that has hptuners or efi live that lives near u? or are u interested in buying one of the programs?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need the whole deal. I dont know much about these. So how do I go about it. I want to get the truck tuned. Do I need to buy the tuner and then have someone tune the trucK? Or what do I do?

Four2fight

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
well efi live and hptuners are programs that run off laptops. there is a learning process involved in being able to tune your own truck. to learn more about the programs go to their websites. these programs are nothing like predator programmers. if you just want someone to give your truck a full tune and be done with it, id find a local dyno shop that does tuning. dyno shops that tune trucks and cars like ours also use programs like HPtuners and EFI live.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
There is a learning process involved in being able to tune your own truck.
LOL, ain't that the damn truth? I've had mine for 4 months now and still haven't even opened all the perameters. There is so much research and reading involved to become good at tuning, it's unreal.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
:word: you dont even know which tuning program you want and you want to dive right into tuning your truck? you need to do some researching before you get yourself into something that youre not expecting. excuse me if ive came off as an asshole

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
LOL, ain't that the damn truth? I've had mine for 4 months now and still haven't even opened all the perameters. There is so much research and reading involved to become good at tuning, it's unreal.
+100000

I perfer HPT since thats what I have. They both wiill get the job done. I like HPT for the fact that you can buy model years and tune as many vehicles of that year as you want. EFI live needs a lisence ofr every vehicle. HPT seems to be the leader with new innovations. HPT has a feature called "Real Time Tuning" where you can tune the vehicle right there.. no need to stop and reflash and makes it very easy. EFI you NEED to buy a whole different computer ($800) plus a lisence to use it ($100). Thats after you buy the software. Its all included in the HPT price ($650).

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
+100000

I perfer HPT since thats what I have. They both wiill get the job done. I like HPT for the fact that you can buy model years and tune as many vehicles of that year as you want. EFI live needs a lisence ofr every vehicle. HPT seems to be the leader with new innovations. HPT has a feature called "Real Time Tuning" where you can tune the vehicle right there.. no need to stop and reflash and makes it very easy. EFI you NEED to buy a whole different computer ($800) plus a lisence to use it ($100). Thats after you buy the software. Its all included in the HPT price ($650).
You're right about the real time tuning with HPT, but the problem is that you can only tune a few perameters. I don't know which ones excactly, but to my knowledge it isn't very many. While you have to pay for RoadRunner(efi live real time) is has unlimited perameter capabilities.

Not trying to start an EFI Live/Hp Tuners war because I think they're both great tuning programs but they each have their advantages and disadvantages.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Nah, but you do have a point. RTT is a few parameters, but its the only ones you need while RTTing.. VE, timing and I think another one. Is the Roadrunner setup ($900 on top of the price of EFI live) worth it, not to me. Also with HPT, it has data logging capabilities WITHOUT a laptop. Plug in the box and go. It records the info and saves it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Both products will do what you want, but there is a BIG leaning curve with either of them. I have been using EFILive for a couple years now and LOVE it. There V1 has black box logging of about 25 minutes, and their V2 will have Stand alone reading, flashing and logging of DAYS/WEEKS if so desired very shortly. Plus, both versions of EFILive have the ability to have a wideband o2 hooked up to them, which in my option is the only way to properly tune.

I wouldn't say Either company is the leader in new futures, as BOTH company come out with new features all the time. Some are just different then the others, it depends on what you want to do. Personally, I like the Idea of being able to go for a drive, log a bunch of data on my V2, then when I get home, I can go in the house, look over all the data, make the changes I want, and then take just my V2 back out to the truck and flash in the new tune and go for a drive again. These functions are scheduled to be released by EFILive in the next month or so :D I'm excited about it!

If you decide on EFILive, PM me, I can help you get a good deal and will try to answer any questions you may have ;).

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Thats neat that you dont need the laptop to flash.

HPT will have out a very nice feature soon that will make tuning a SNAP even for the first time user ;) I dont know if its been talked about yet so I dont want to mention it.

EDIT... I see it has been talked about. Its called "AutoTune". You drive, the programs does the tuning. ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thats neat that you dont need the laptop to flash.

HPT will have out a very nice feature soon that will make tuning a SNAP even for the first time user ;) I dont know if its been talked about yet so I dont want to mention it.

EDIT... I see it has been talked about. Its called "AutoTune". You drive, the programs does the tuning. ;)
FWIW, EFilve has Real-Time Automated Calibration System (RTACS) http://efilive.com/news.aspx#news3 for the RoadRunner (which BTW is $599 for the pcm and $199 for the licence) that is in Final BETA testing and it will be released VERY shortly ;)

Like I said, BOTH programs with get the job done, it just depends on what features and licensing scheme suit you best :)

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Wow, thats cool. Too bad you have to spend another $700 on top of the programs cost. ;) hehe

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
FWIW, EFilve has Real-Time Automated Calibration System (RTACS) http://efilive.com/news.aspx#news3 for the RoadRunner (which BTW is $599 for the pcm and $199 for the licence) that is in Final BETA testing and it will be released VERY shortly ;)

Like I said, BOTH programs with get the job done, it just depends on what features and licensing scheme suit you best :)
And RoadRunner is THE shit!!!!!!!!!:rocking: Seen it in action and it really is something else.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wow, thats cool. Too bad you have to spend another $700 on top of the programs cost. ;) hehe
The Road Runner can be used with a SCAN ONLY version of Efilive too ($249-V1, $399-V2). Also, The Road Runner can be used in any vehicle in which has compatible PCM to create the custom tune and then the stock pcm can be reinstalled and flashed with the newly created tune for only the cost of a licenses ($99) ;)

·
has driven a Ford lately.
2,478 Posts
:word: you dont even know which tuning program you want and you want to dive right into tuning your truck? you need to do some researching before you get yourself into something that youre not expecting. excuse me if ive came off as an asshole
I've spent quite a bit of time researching myself and I'm still in the same boat as this guy, don't see a problem with not knowing which one you want. They're two very competitive products, and I think I'd probably be happy with either.

EFILive has the advantage of being able to try the software out in demo mode, so I'm leaning that direction myself. I'm also hugely attracted to the idea of the forthcoming updates to their v2 package to store/load programs without a laptop I like the idea of being able to go dial things back a bit on the road, e.g., in the event of accidentally obtaining a tank of 87. Also, my windows laptop is a piece of s***, and as such I'd much prefer to use their hardware for the flashing, lest I get a blue-screen-of-death 50% of the way into a writing. Glad to hear the updates are only a month away.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Of all the times I flashed my old 99. Which was a hell of alot. I never had any problems flashing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts