GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
2DR 'hoe owner
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright here it is, my hub went bad so i got it replaced, i bought the part at oreilys and took it to my guy who has done some great work in the past so i dont suspect his skill to be the issue. after about two weeks driving i jacked it up to put on new rims and tires and the wheel wabbled back and forth when i rocked it at 12 and 6. it this a manufacturers deftect or something part of a bigger problem? btw it is a 99 2door tahoe. and what size socket fits the giant nut that is on the front of the hub? 30mm is to small and 1 and 5/16 is a hair off
newrims.jpg

·
2DR 'hoe owner
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
normally do, other that major things like frame straightening and body work(not on this vehicle), havent had time lately with the shift changes, but i have the next few days off hence me asking for the socket size so i can pick one up

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
36mm for the CV nut

It could be your balljoints

·
2DR 'hoe owner
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks man.
i replaced the balljoints like a thousand miles ago, probably a week before the hub. they are nearly perfect.

·
The Dude
505 Posts
That would suck to spend the coin on a new bearing only to have it take a shit soon after. I just replaced my rt front hub last thursday. I hope I get another 86,000 miles out of it. The upside is it should come apart easy. Hopefully O'reilys doesn't give you any guff when you return it.

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
what size wheels and tires

the bearing will blow quickly if the spindle nut isnt properly torqued

·
2DR 'hoe owner
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i noticed it was out i was taking my 35's on 17's off. the ones on it are 285/65 on 18" kmc spys. going to get the part exchanged in a few days, hopefully they wont give me trouble.

·
2DR 'hoe owner
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
put new hub on last night, torqued everything to spec, jacked it up bout4 this afternoon. gone. the bearing is shot AGAIN! took it to GM. they said everything looked good so the hub must have just went out, but in less than 24hrs? same brand from same store (oreily's) could it be a bad batch that werent pressed good or am i overlooking something?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Over-torque that CV shaft nut and see if that helps. If it's 150ft-lbs, go for 200 or more.

It does sound like it could be a bad batch though.

·
2DR 'hoe owner
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a knew one today, went with the national bearing, holdin strong so far and ive put about 1000 miles on it. as opposed to the 6 miles the recent one held up for. think it was brand. for future reference. never go with "MASTER PRO". the national brand is holding its own or go with napa. may cost a lil more but its a good brand.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
I bought the best ones that NAPA offers when I did mine. Ive had good luck with most of the parts from NAPA so far and the hubs have about 8K on them...

I try to buy either AC Delco or atleast a part made in the US. Maybe it will help keep a few factory workers employed...

·
Rocky Hock Offroad
99 Posts
did you reuse the cv nut? i had a problem with that one time.
timken hubs ftw!

·
2DR 'hoe owner
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just had the most recent one go out. cv nut problems? i reused it but i didnt think that could be a problem? maybe that could shed some light on this problem

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Just do it yourself if you already havent. And on the nut but a small dab of blue or red loctite torque that bad boy to at least 180 (spec) i personally do 190. Drive and see what happens. If you have taken it to your mechanic several times and same problem odds are he isnt torqing it to enough. Almost all the components on the front end require 140 including lug nuts except this nut.

·
2DR 'hoe owner
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ive done it myself all times except the first, ive torqued it to spec and beyond. i have no idea what is causing these to fail, even the gm dealership couldnt give me another reason besides get a new one or new brand and im bout tired of changin these things weekly lol

·
Registered
649 Posts
Maybe try swapping your CV axles and see if the problem moves to the other side????? Just brainstorming, and figured it's something else you could try???

Also, do you think the CV nut might be bottoming out on the shaft? Double check that and maybe use some washers if you have to.

·
The Dude
505 Posts
Maybe your spindle got jacked up somewhere along the way. I can see one bad bearing, but not three. If it's not the ball joints, and the CV nut seems ok, then really there's not alot left besides the spindle itself. Maybe the bore is slighty enlarged or irregular allowing the bearing to wobble.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts